SCREWED

Started by BMITCH, November 15, 2013, 11:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok, so back to the old question of SS screws. Seems to be difficult to find 8-40 flat head screws that I like. So my question is...if you run a 8-32 tap through say a Tib frame for the 114H( which is a 8-40 thread) do you risk screwing up the frame? Do you get a good fit? Aren't the screw dia. The same on an 8-40 and a 8-32.? Your just changing the pitch, right? Or do I need to tap to the next largest size?
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bunnlevel Sharker

I think as long as the walls arent to thin and the screw is lightly greased and fits well you will be fine
Grayson Lanier

Irish Jigger

Be very careful.
First establish exactly what thread is in the Tib frame.
Are you sure it is not 8-36 UNF as 8-40 is a non standard size?

LTM

Also, the diameter is the same HOWEVER your going from 32 tpi to 40tpi which is a FINER thread and your screw may very well not hold and skip a thread ore two. Wait till you get more POSITIVE feed back. Keta/Lee is one our resident machinist whom I consult with on details such as this.

Leo

Keta

It should be ok.

8-32 major diameter .1631"  minor diameter .1248"
8-36 major diameter .1632"  minor diameter .1291"

major .1632-.1631=.0001 loss
minor .1291-.1248=.0043 gain

8-32 thread contact  .0383"
8-36 thread contact  .0341"
The re-taped thread contact will be .0332"

http://www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

SEE WHAT I MEAN? Thanx Lee for the link!!

Leo

BMITCH

So Lee & Leo, I should be alright if I tap out a existing 8-40 thread with a 8-32. The Penn 114H side plate screws are a 8-40 correct? If I tap them out to an 8-32 I believe there are many more options of SS screws that can be used?

Irish Jigger

Quote from: BMITCH on November 15, 2013, 07:43:00 PM
The Penn 114H side plate screws are a 8-40 correct?
Yes 8-40,which is a non standard size and hard to source other than from Penn.

BMITCH

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 16, 2013, 12:02:36 AM
Quote from: BMITCH on November 15, 2013, 07:43:00 PM
The Penn 114H side plate screws are a 8-40 correct?
Yes 8-40,which is a non standard size and hard to source other than from Penn.

Tom, my point exactly! So if I tap out the 8-40 to 8-32 do you think there is enough "meat" to be able to bear down on the side plate screws??

BMITCH

Or maybe go up a size to a 10-32 and make the holes through the side plate and rings larger? I really don't like the penn screws. Not a cost issue more an aesthetics issue.
Bob

LTM

Bob Im not your guy for this question, just the referral to Keta/Lee

Leo

Irish Jigger

Bob,I would not cross thread the holes by tapping them 8-32 and would stick with the original 8-40 chromed brass screws.

You could try tapping a 114H post 8-32 and see how well the screw holds.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 16, 2013, 12:03:22 PM
Bob, I would stick with the original 8-40 chromed brass screws.
Same here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Bob, run an 8-32 die/die nut down an 8-40 screw and see what the threads look like before contemplating tapping the Tib frame. ;)

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 16, 2013, 03:38:38 PM
Bob, run an 8-32 die/die nut down an 8-40 screw and see what the threads look like before contemplating tapping the Tib frame. ;)

X2.  I've successfully ran a course tap in a fine thread hole in steel but they were much larger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain