Penn Squidder

Started by bluefish69, November 17, 2013, 12:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Is there any way to remove the bearing on the right side plate & the bearing cup on the left sideof this reel?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Frank

Hi Mike,

There is a retainer disk on the right plate and left side bearing. It has a knurled edge to help it grip and it grips pretty good too. You can gently pry them out with home made 'L' shaped tool that will fit through the hole in the disk. Just keep gently prying and rotating until it pops out. If you bugger up the disk I can send you new ones.

The washer to the right in pictures 1 and 2 is a bearing spacer. Take note of how many you have under the bearing in your reel and don't forget to reinstall them before putting in the new bearing and pressing the retainer disk back in place.

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

Another picture of the retainer disk and a photo of 3 Penn bearings with the retainer disk installed. Sorry but I don't have a disassembled Squidder right sideplate at the moment or else I would have supplied photos of the removal procedure. Hope this helped.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Bryan Young

By the way, the retainer is not necessary if you want to leave it off. It helps getting the reel back together though since the bearing doesn't slip out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I usually don't put it back on mine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Thanks guys.  That's good to know for the next time I get a Squidder. Bearings feel good even before I started. I having other issues with this reel though.  So far new dog & sprin, new bridge sleeve because the fist 2 threads were bad & a new yoke. Which I have tk go out for. Just having fun.

But my computer is in worst condition than this reel.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.