Losing my Reel virginity!

Started by Chris Gatorfan, November 19, 2013, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Ok i have never worked on a reel by myself. That being said, Cone came over to my house this morning and fully explained to me how to do a Double Dog on my Penn 9/0. I have always been a visual/kinesthetic learner and i believe i have all this down. I will take pics along the way and post them when all is done. So here it goes. Wish me luck.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Dominick

Quote from: Chris Gatorfan on November 19, 2013, 06:02:02 PM
Ok i have never worked on a reel by myself. That being said, Cone came over to my house this morning and fully explained to me how to do a Double Dog on my Penn 9/0. I have always been a visual/kinesthetic learner and i believe i have all this down. I will take pics along the way and post them when all is done. So here it goes. Wish me luck.

Good Luck and welcome to the reel world.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broschro

Chris Gatorfan

Well i got it done and it turned out great. Must say i am VERY HAPPY with my work. Yes i admit i was nervous,  but i managed. After the initial cut out i had to do some fine tuning to get the dog to sit it because i didn't have it cut back enough at the pivot and the top line was to low. But i made the adjustments bit by bit (3 times) and now it is complete. Other than popping the bearing out three or four times during reassembling the reel there were no other problems. She is now back together smooth as ever with to dogs and barely any backplay. Thank for the great coaching Cone..

Cone will post the picks for me later on today.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Cone

Here are the pics Chris sent to share. Great job!

It was nice meeting you Chris.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks for posting the pics for me Bob. I can't wait to see how well she performs for me. And i definitely look forward to hitting the water with you soon.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

BMITCH

Bob, if your making house calls how about coming up to jersey and building some of my reels ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

Bob, I didn't build it. I took it apart and left it on his table in pieces. He did everything including the grinding after I left! If you want I can take any of yours apart and leave a puzzle for you too.  ;)   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Chris Gatorfan

Yes he left my reel there in pieces only thing St left together were the spool and left side plate. But i had a good teacher. Can't wait to do my 6/0 now. And of course putting in the new as gear set.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

BMITCH

Quote from: Cone on November 20, 2013, 01:09:18 PM
Bob, I didn't build it. I took it apart and left it on his table in pieces. He did everything including the grinding after I left! If you want I can take any of yours apart and leave a puzzle for you too.  ;)   Bob

Yeah, I already have about 6 or 7 tore down waiting for all these upgrade parts. Got enough puzzles already ;D Chris you are now bit and there is only one cure....build more reels!! Good luck
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Chris Gatorfan

I am definitely planning on it. In fact i am in the process of converting our spare room to a reel repair room.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks Alan, btw i will have that check in the mail to you if not this Friday definitely next Friday.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Chris Gatorfan

I have a machinist through Berinson tackle that is willing to do them for me. But i can't get anyone here to commit to them, as they are $200 each. The Guy wants 5k by January 15 and the remaining 5k by February 15. He said he will do the minimum of 50 frames for 10k.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.