Older senators add on mod

Started by Shark Hunter, November 19, 2013, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Why do they attach these to older reels? Is it something to keep the spray off of you or what? Maybe for easier drag pressure applied to the spool? I am Curious.
This reel should arrive today, I will post better pictures then. By the way, I got this 10/0 for 80 Bucks! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thumb break, so you don't loose your skin on your thumb.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Growing up in Hawaii, I saw my grandpa do that mod on many of his reels.  This was a time before Hex gears and 9+1 CF drag systems and braided lines.

This is the Thumb-brakes I was referring to in that other thread "How to get more drag from my 14/0".

Back then, when we would get hooked up with a big Ahi or a big marlin, and the line was just going, that's what the old guy would use to get more drag.

I believe that flap of leather needs to be flipped over.  As you can see, it will meet the couture of the spool.  You can also note that the leather started to fray in the direction the line would peel off from the spool.

Thanks for bringing back the memories Shark Hunter, I haven't seen it in a long time.

BTW, 80 bucks is a steal!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

You are Welcome Ono. Thanks Guys.
Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

I was wondering if people have added on some sort of external braking system to reels. Thanks for posting this.

Do you guys know if there are or have been any reels that employ an external, mechanical braking system as an original option?

I am interested in the idea of a braking system that works as a thumb "rest" and interacts in contact with the spool itself when depressed.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

I always used those things to keep from losing skin on your thumb when casting heavy weight.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

I am considering putting one on (gasp) the Tank.  I burned my thumb pretty bad once live lining for Tuna.  A fish hit and instinctively I pressed my thumb down on the spool.  I had the biggest blister ever.  Karl looks like he works well with leather.  Hey Karl how about making some thumb brakes for us AT members?  BTW we haven't heard from Karl for a while.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Maybe you need some gloves Dominick. The mechanics gloves are pretty spiffy. I don't know if you can find them Hawaii style though. :P
The reel came today and it is a piece of Penn Nostalgia. Feels well used, but well taken care of. There is lots of slop in the handle, not so much lateral movement, but the dog feels like its worn out. I wish it could talk. I'm sure it would have some stories to tell.
Ono, if you want the thumb brake, I will send it to you buddy. Free of charge! ;)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Thanks Daron, I'll take you up on that offer.  I'll PM my address.

It looks like that reel has many stories to tell about the great fishes it has submitted, and the ones that got away.

Keep us posted with the rebuild, I'm sure it's gonna get the treatment.

Nice Ruger.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bryan Young

I guess that particular reel comes with a body guard.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 20, 2013, 03:07:25 PM
I guess that particular reel comes with a body guard.  ;D
You never know brother! ;)
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Daron I will give you 80 bucks and a half smoked pack of cigs and a pack of Oreos for everything in the picture! ;D
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Ill throw in a 4/0 to, keep the wife from getting to mad about 2 of your hobbies.
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Negative. My wife is Ok with my Hobbies. ;)
Life is Good!