Abu Ambassadeur 3 screw , No Model Number-ID?

Started by T Rad, November 19, 2013, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Rad

Guys, a friend wants me to clean up and an old ambassadeur that I can't ID. Beveled side plates. Checkered foot. # 730801. Three screw, male checkering. High Speed sticker under handle. Old style dial adjustment on off side. Might have been black or green at one time, hard to say. ABU in hollow outline letters, Ambassadeur, in tall narrow font, and SWEDEN in small fort on bottom of off side. I would like to find a schematic but don't know what to look for.

Interesting side note: The man's name is Gary Bush. His mother was Val Bush of "Bassin Gals" fame. She was killed at a tournament in one of the last of the old "shotgun start" tournaments. Apparently was hit by an incoming boat in bad visibility.  He brought me all of her old equipment to restore if possible. It includes a nice 2500C, a 4500C, An old Shakespeare President baitcaster, one of the old Shimano 100's. Early Lew's rods, several "Skyline" graphite rods, a brand I don't know about. The Shimano 100 was on an early very nice Shimano graphite rod.

Any help with the old ABU ID? Thanks. Tom
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

Ken_D

http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/ProductData.cfm?id=Abu Garcia  
http://tinyurl.com/4juru6w

Scroll down to "old".   Take transmission sideplate off, and begin comparing to the schematics you open. Stay away from any reel using the 900 seies of numbers... 975XXX, etc. If you need to, open one, but compare the numbers to conventional Abu 5 digit numbers.

For part names visit e-replacement's site. Which see:  
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-7000-ambassadeur-parts-c-187196_187197_187635.html

Note part names underneath their set of drawings.

Ken_D

What size reel is your project? Remember: transmissions for a 45,55,65, 46,56,66 are nearly all the same back then.

Frame, spool, and related are sized different. spools will change for the C models, versus the plain bronze bushed types.  You will not get replacement bevelled plates any more either.... either one side, or the other, or both are no longer available.

You can use today's 'cloned' rippled plates, if you want to pay for them... they run about 50.00 and up per pair.
By the by: what colour are the plates on this project? Common bevels of the day were red, black, teal, brown, silver. If faded badly, look on the inner surface where the sun never shone.

T Rad

Thanks, guys. I will follow those suggestions. He made me a present of the 2500 just for messing with them. Ask me if I am not a happy camper! I am, I am! Going to see if I can make a good 1/4 oz caster out of it.
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

T Rad

Gentlemen, thanks for the input. It turns out to be a 5500C, circa 73 model or so. Some sort of gunmetal grey, perhaps silver but doesn't really look like it. I had another 5500c to compare spool width with. Duhh!!! Why didn't I think of that. Nice reel.

Ken_D