Oils, grease, and cold weather?

Started by AllenW, November 20, 2013, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

I am just wondering what you would suggest for lubricants to use on reels, both bait caster and spinning that are used in temps from say 90 to below freezing?

There some lubs mention in threads but I don't see any reference to fishing with them in below freezing temps.
As we do on the mississippi here.

I have come up with a few concoctions/mixtures but would like to avoid mixing lubs and the mess, plus I think there's better ways to go.

I am using baitcasters like the Diawa Sealine Linecounters, Shimao calcutta and Penn 320GT.
Spin casters are most Shimano and Pflueger fresh water reels in crappie to light saltwater size.

I fish mostly Minnesota and Wisconsin lakes and Superior for trout and salmon.

TIA

Al

alantani

cal's makes a thick peanut butter-colored grease and a thinner purple grease.  either should be fine.  for an oil, tsi 321 should be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AllenW

broschro

only use the oils on bearings do not squirt all ports on the old Penn reels makes a huge mess and Gets mixed with the grease.

AllenW

Use oil or grease on the bearings??

Also trying to keep with one source here, smoothdrag has the Oust oil, is this comparable to tsi 321?
Or would the ReelX be a closer match to the tsi lube?
I'm also having trouble finding the tsi321 locally here in Mpls

Having a bit of information overload after reading about lubs here. :)
TIA

Al

Keta

I greased 2 reels with Cal's and Cal's lite, put them in my freezer for 4 hours and then tested the drags.  After the first initial pull both ran the same but Cal's lite broke free better on the first pull.

For fresh water use in cold climate I'd use oil for the bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AllenW

Sounds like maybe except for the drag washer grease, I should just use oil for most everything else on the reel then?

Thanks much.

Al

broschro

the only thing I use oil for R my bearings I use grease for everything else a light coat on all the innards and of course the drag washers.cals works great you can use it on the drag washers and the rest of the real if you like.

AllenW

Quote from: broschro on November 21, 2013, 12:37:41 AM
the only thing I use oil for R my bearings I use grease for everything else a light coat on all the innards and of course the drag washers.cals works great you can use it on the drag washers and the rest of the real if you like.

Sounds good, I have the Cal's already and I'll keep looking for the tsi321, thanks.

AllenW

It seems looking online that detectorbuy.com has the tsi321, but even buying three bottles the shipping is more than the product.
I'm having trouble finding the company that manufactures it in hopes they have a "where to buy" section.

Alan are you still selling it?
Or does anybody know how to find it a local business sells it?

TIA
Al

philaroman

for freezing temps (esp. w/ high wind-chill factor), I'd go with oil for spool bearings (casting) & line-roller (spinning).  might want to keep a little Shimano oil bottle handy, as well -- never know when the levelwind worm gear may need a little squirt...  a minor mess beats poor line-lay