seized on bearing

Started by Chris Gatorfan, November 20, 2013, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

I am in the process of getting a 14/0 from a local Guy here in Pensacola. Only issue with the reel is that the clicker side bearing is completely seized onto the spool shaft. Any ideas as to how to get it off will be appreciated as he has been soaking the connect for over a month now with still no budge of the spool.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

chris, the spool shaft is just stuck in side the bearing, right?  to remove the bearing, take two matching screwdrivers, stick them underneath the bearing at opposite sides, then twist both screwdrivers clockwise to provide equal and even lift to the bearing.  the alternative is to put on some safety glasses and grab a big pair of vise grips and literally crush/shatter the outside race of the bearing into little pieces.  then you can easily grab the inside race and twist it off.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chris Gatorfan

What are the chances of messing up the shaft using these two methods? As long as we can save the shaft we have some new Boca Bearings for it and she will be as good as new.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Chris Gatorfan

Sounds good Alan thanks. I will give it a try and see what happens. I post the end result and then it will be upgrade time.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Bryan Young

If there is no line on the spool, a little heat on the bearing helps as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D