Penn 155 drag buildup even after service

Started by MichaelAngelo, November 20, 2013, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelAngelo

Hey guys, I have an old Penn 155 (beachmaster) that I plan to use for bait fishing.

It had a choppy drag so I ordered and replaced all the drag washers. Then it still had a choppy drag with unacceptable "buildup". It sounds like... zzzz (pause) zzzz (pause) zzzz (pause) when line is taken under drag. Not acceptable.

So I sent it in to an authorized Penn service center in my area. $10 shipping and $22 labour later, he tells me that he took it apart and had a look and it seemed fine. I asked him if he smoothed out the drag and he told me "as far as I can tell by pulling line off the reel".

I received it back, and it's exactly the same as when I first got it. I will be calling the service centre tomorrow and letting him know.

More importantly, what the heck could be causing this buildup if all of the drag washers are brand new?

alantani

any possibility that the spool is blown out (expanded under the pressure of the mono) and is scraping the bridge plate?  otherwise, just make sure the drags are greased. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MichaelAngelo

Quote from: alantani on November 20, 2013, 07:31:04 PM
any possibility that the spool is blown out (expanded under the pressure of the mono) and is scraping the bridge plate?  otherwise, just make sure the drags are greased. 

Drags are lightly greased with Cal's.

Yesterday when I opened it up again, I noticed that the keyed metal washer (the one with ears) is bowl-shaped. I checked my 2 brand-new spares and none of them were flat. They were all ordered from Penn.  Is this normal?

Also, there is pitting on the bottom side of the main gear where it contacts part 4, the stiff Fiber washer.  Perhaps that could case this? 

Alan, how would I check for a warped spool?

Bryan Young

I would replace the fiber washer with a grease HT-100 or Carbontex.

Second, check the inside of your gear to make sure that the keyed metal washer is not scraping on the gear.

Third, check to make sure that the eared metal washers are not really tight on the gear sleeve.

Cupped shaped metal washers are common. I install them cup side down.

They are cupped because they are punched from a sheet versus water or plasma cut.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Some pictures would help greatly. We like pictures. ;)
Life is Good!

MichaelAngelo

Schematic:  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/155l.pdf

What kind of parts should I photograph and from what angles?

Here's some more info:

-With the drag totally loosened but the reel still engaged, there is a soft rattling sound when I spin the spool quickly in either direction.  Doesn't seem to be catching on anything though and seems pretty free.  

-When I hold the reel handle side down, there is no noise and the spool spins freely (when the reel is engaged there is a rolling noise).  When I hold the reel clicker switch side down, the spool doesn't spin freely and a soft grind is heard.  

-Part 4 is brand new, I replaced it.  Part 8 is still springy.  Part 41 seems normal, I'm not sure if the spool is supposed to catch when I hold it clicker-side down.  

-When I look at the spool rotating compared to the metal frame just next to the spool, I see

-What I did notice is that there is pitting on the the main gear (5) has some pitting on the bottom part where it touches part 4.  It also has some minor pitting on the inside rim of where drag stack goes (not the bottom where the drag washer faces, the inside rim perpendicular to the drag washers).  Perhaps this main gear may be causing the problem?  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

saltydog

If you turn the reel to the left you hear the noise then if the spool is not spread you may have a worn left and right side bushing, you can check this by removing the spool and bushings then placing them on there respective shafts to see if their is any play. Just a thought.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur