The look of CarbonTex washers

Started by Drisse, November 21, 2013, 02:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hi !

This is probably a quite dumb question..... :)

I haven't studied the carbontex washers that close before. I've only noticed that the pattern on them was different from time to time. And the reason for this is from which sheet the washers are cut. Last time I ordered CT washers for a Shimano Trinidad/Torium 20 reel. I think 2 of the washers had different pattern on easch side. One side was more plain CT and on the other side the pattern was more rough woven CT . Is it the same reason, just from which sheet the washer is cut ? Or are the some other reason ?

Maybe sounds a bit weird, but hope someone understands my explanation :) I didn't take any pictures of the washers, and can't find a washer that looks the same.

VW

Quote from: Drisse on November 21, 2013, 02:10:57 PM

I think 2 of the washers had different pattern on each side. One side was more plain CT and on the other side the pattern was more rough woven CT. Is it the same reason, just from which sheet the washer is cut ? Or are the some other reason ?

Do not have an answer about why, but have observed the same thing on the thicker, two sheet, HT100's from Penn. I do not think there is any significant difference in performance.

Dawn

The carbon fiber is woven into a fine weave to make a thinner material, and a coarser weave to make a thicker material.  Fine and coarse weave sheets are laminated together to make an in between thickness.  
There may be different combinations of which material ends up in a set from time to time.  I measure the sheets and use the appropriate combination for each run, as the material can vary in thicknesses between batches.
A few guys have tested the coarse vs. fine, and not much significant difference in performance.

Dawn
Dawn

Shark Hunter

Good Answer Dawn! ;)
There is no such thing as a dumb question here Drisse. ;D
Life is Good!

Drisse

Thanks for a good answer Dawn :) and thanks Shark Hunter  ;)