MacKenzie State Park In Hawaii

Started by Makule, November 21, 2013, 09:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Very well-known fishing spot for generations.

Looking at the "rock" from the camp site.

Closer image.

Has changed quite a bit since I first went there.  More concrete for walking and less of the rock still there.  There was a large "boulder" on the left side that went up about 4' higher than the flat concrete platform.  We used to stand on that and cast.  Many earthquakes later, and constant pounding of the waves (the rock still shakes when a large swell hits it), that section fell off.

The front of the casting spot is actually about 20' above the water line.  The depth immediately in front is perhaps 60' and then rapidly slopes into the abyss.  It is similar to the topography of "Smoking Rock".  Doesn't matter how far one casts, when the anchor finally hits bottom and the slack is taken out, the angle of the line remains probably around 25 to 30 degrees from vertical.

Lots of fish have come up here, and lot of fish have been lost here.  Some people have lost their lives here too.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

wallacewt

it certainly looks dangerous and volcanic but inviting.a couple of life rings and rope might help

Makule

Quote from: wallacewt on November 21, 2013, 10:18:34 PM
it certainly looks dangerous and volcanic but inviting.a couple of life rings and rope might help

Some people have been saved by ropes, and others were not because they fished alone.  Even others could not be saved because no rope was available.  In the "ole" days, no one thought about bringing rescue ropes.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

DaBigOno

That looks like a nice day.  What kind fish you catch?  Any ulua??
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

No offense Albert, but that looks Dangerous as Hell! :o
Life is Good!

Makule

Quote from: Dabigono on November 22, 2013, 04:36:19 AM
That looks like a nice day.  What kind fish you catch?  Any ulua??

Lots of ulua, some kahala (amberjack), ahi, even mahimahi.

Makule

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 27, 2013, 05:45:21 PM
No offense Albert, but that looks Dangerous as Hell! :o

It can be dangerous for those who do not take appropriate precautions, and use caution.  It actually looks worse in real life.

My impression is that hell looks more dangerous.