Penn 114H Question

Started by broadway, April 15, 2010, 05:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I just bought a used Penn 114H to find it has a plastic spool  :-\   I have heard a few stories about the plastic spools crackin' or exploding, whatcha think?  Also, I cracked her open to find two dog springs.  I was under the impression there was only one from Alan's tutorial.  Then I find three tension discs between the star drag and the spacing sleeve.  I thought there would only be two of 'em.  Maybe that's why, before I took her apart the drag wouldn't loosen?  I'm a newbie at this, however I've cracked about ten 4/0's open in the past month, and never found extra parts only missing one's, Hmmm. I'm gonna upgrade the drags to HT-100's.  Can/should I buy a stainless gear sleeve (I'll be using it for sharkin')?  Do you have one available for me, Alan?  Thanks
Dom

alantani

dom, you have a black spool, right?  it's not plastic, it's anodized aluminum.  depending on the model year, there were varying combinations of washers used in all of these reels.  don't worry, they all work just fine.  stainless steel gear sleeves are available from electramate.  don't bother just yet.  you should be fine.  change out the drag stack to ht-100's if you don't have them already.  add a #6-114 drag washer under the main gear.  don't forget the cal's grease.  the 114h used a leaf spring for the dog.  you got two?  first thought?  you know how crisp dollar bills stick together?  maybe that was what happened.  

dom, i think they just make reels different on the east coast.  or some one is messin' with you!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Hey Alan,

I was really surprised to see the plastic spool, its definitely not aluminum or any other metal.  I don't get it either :-\  I'll keep my fingers crossed that she'll hold on if I got a biggie on the line.  As for the gear sleeve, I will just leave her alone for now.  The dog springs are 2 different sizes in length (1 of 'em is 3/4 the size of the other one)  Should I leave the 2 in or remove one?  Alan, believe it or not this came from your coast (San Diego).  Maybe you guys are messin' with me ;D  Thanks
Dom   

alantani

dom, i can tell you now that a plastic spool will explode the first time a fish takes a hard run.  i have also never seen a plastic spool for a 6/0 high speed senator.  i do not think that they exist.  there are, however, many aftermarket aluminum spools and the come in many colors, not just black.

broadway

Alan,

When I get my camera going I will take a photo for ya.  Maybe you can tell better than me.  This reel is OLD!  When I send the photos maybe you can tell me just how old it is.  It has a Tiburon Frame now, so it's not totally complete.  Any old 6/0 spools laying around that need a new home? Thanks
Dom

broadway

Alan,
     You were right!  The spool IS aluminum (army green in color).  I did the scratch test tonight, damn that thing is as light weight aluminum as humanly possible.  Thanks
Dom

alantani

Norcal Pescador

I have a 114H with a thick slotted metal washer on the top of the drag washer stack. Is this normal or is it supposed to be thin like the bottom and middle slotted metal washers? It's so thick I can't get the key #8A (8-115) washer on.
There is presently a key #8 washer where the #8A should be. The reel appears to work fine, so unless there is a real problem here, I'll just use the reel as is.

Alan, do you have a long version of the 113H/114H rebuild tutorial?

Thanks,

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD