Bantam 100 side plates material?

Started by T Rad, November 22, 2013, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Rad

Trying to restore for display and old Bantam 100 that came on the Shimano graphite rod with the silver engraved handle. The plates appear to be cast aluminum but it is obvious that some parts such as the spool release button are plated brass. Any help? The reel is very nice as is with the hardwood, (rosewood?) handles in good shape and it all appears in working order. The insides are pretty dry with old grease but a fine, fine reel. I don't want to use the wrong polishing technique anywhere here!
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

Cone

I've never polished the plates on a Bantam. I have cleaned up a few old dirty things though. I have had some good results putting parts in a vibratory tumbler with crushed walnut shells or ground corn cob media. A cap full or two of mineral spirits and some Nu finish car wax in the media makes them shine. The tumbler doesn't hurt rifle or pistol brass, chrome plated or not. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

it should be aluminum, but some other parts might be stamped in.  i usually go after parts like this with an old grease toothbrush. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Don't try to polish too hard, they didn't have to much luster when they were new. I have one that is nib and it isn't very shiny.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

T Rad

Thanks guys. Sorry about the week long wait for a thank you. I teach school, retiring in December, and we were out for Thanksgiving. No Internet at home. We have to drive into town for sunshine. I love it that way! I am beginning to think that one plate on the off side was plastic. It had circular marks that actually look like mold marks. Could have been graphite but I don't think they were doing that then.
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell