Cedros 20S Opinions and question

Started by mitchman, November 22, 2013, 07:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

I recently picked up a Cedros 20S and wanted to get some opinions. Overall the reel is solid as it is a single speed version of the Mak 20.  I noticed that that handle is the same one as on my Cedros 10S, and it is way undersized! I know that the Mak 50 handle fits the Mak 20, so will the same be true for the Cedros? Also, the gear is really high (6.2:1 - 60in) and was wondering if anyone has actually used this reel and could offer some opinions. I was planning on spooling with 100lb braid/80lb topshot and using it as an all around conventional reel for live baiting, trolling, and jigging here in the northeast for yellowfin to 100lbs, bluefin to 200lb, wahoo, and white marlin. My concern is the high gear ratio will make it a PITA for trolling or if I have to grind on a big fish that went deep. Any thoughts?

alantani

well, it would be a great wahoo reel......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, and the larger handles should fit without trouble. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I'm guessing your not in the US? Don't here of many wahoo in New England.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mitchman

That's true Alan, however, we would catch wahoo trolling...

I am in Cape Cod and wahoo start showing up 30mi South of the vineyard in the Dump.

bnz

Here are the handles of the Mak 10IIsea, Mak10, and Cedros 10:

The Mak 10IIsea has the Mak 20 t-bar on it.  I swapped out the Cedros 10 knob for the Mak 10 t-bar.  Wished I had ordered the Mak 20 handle instead. :)

locknut

That looks like it will work well. It always cracks me up the smaller the reel the smaller the knob what, should we change out our hands to smaller ones when we use small reels sheesh. I got a bunch of larger Mak 20 T-bars for my Cedros 10 and 15,and Mak 10 reels then put the Mak 10 T-bars on my Andros 5 reels.  I didn't swap the arms just the T-Bars. The reels are so much better with bigger T-bars

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

mitchman