5 disk stack in a 3 stack main gear

Started by CooldadE, April 15, 2010, 05:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I have a Penn 113 standard reel that I would like to put a new 5 disk stack in. Rite now it has a 3 disk set up. Do I need to modify the main gear before I make the swap. The reason I ask is because there is a reel guy in Canada that machines the gear to accept the 5 disk set up. I don't want to send it away is I don't need to.
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

akfish

You don't need to modify the main gear. Use thinner drag washers (00 060 instead of 006 113) and skip the top spring washer and it should fit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

The easiest way is to buy the HT-100 washers pack with the drag washers.  The 5 stack will replace the 3 stack without any modifications.  I don't have the number of the kit, but will update my posting when find it unless others knows the kit number.

The HT-100 drag kit for Penn's 113H, 113HSP, 113HL, 113HLW, 340GTi, and 345GTi is Part No. 6-113HSP.  It contains metal and carbon drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dawn

It would be the Penn #140 size.   This is for the older model black sided 113 reel.  Not the 113H.
Dawn

CooldadE

alantani

just to clairify, do you have a black side plate 113 or a red side plate 113h?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

I have the Standard black sideplate 113. I have drags and metal washers comming and need to get a SS gear sleeve and an economical but better handle. I will contact you alan about some gear sleeves. I have about 6 or 7 reels I want to upgrade.

alantani

this reel, more than any other, will benefit from a stainless steel drive shaft. 

Gman_WC

Alan, Do you stock the SS drive shaft for the 113H?
I have a YT special I made from a mid 90's 113h thats in a narrow Tiburon frame with Newell 4-1 gear.
I'm guessing the ss drive gear drive shaft upgrade would work on narrow, regular, or wide 113h's correct?

Thanks -g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

that is correct, but unless the gear sleeve (drive shaft) of your reel is rounded off at the top, save your money for now.  get one only later if you need it.  alan

Gman_WC

I'm going to send you a check for a handful of them. They may be gone when I really need them!  ;) -gary
Walnut Creek, CA