Which Senator for U.K Skate Fishing.

Started by jeff smith, November 24, 2013, 06:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff smith

Guys,
I need some expert advice.
I'm intending to fish for common skate off the coast of Scotland soon and would like to know which of my Senators to use for the purpose. The choice is between 4/0(Hi-speed) and 6/0 sizes, I'll be fishing in about 450ft of depth using 80lb spectra braid as my mainline to combat the tide strength and the quarry could exceed 200lb in weight. Reels will be matched up to STAR handbuilt 30/50 stand up rods which, as I've used them for porbeagle shark, I have complete faith in but...could I use the 4/0 Senators for the job of winching these beasts up from the depths,or do I need the extra punch of the 6/0?
If I can, I'd prefer to use the 4/0 as they're so much lighter and compact and easily hold enough line for the job.

Irish Jigger

I think the 4/0  is adequate. PM williebendit as he regularly hauls up skate in excess of 200lbs from over  200ft of water at  Mull in Scotland.

jeff smith

Thanks Tom. I know Alain (Willybendit) but unfortunately, he's not a fan of our favourite reels preferring to use those new fangled lever drag type things.LOL

Ron Jones

I'm also confident the 4/0 would be fine. If you have the time, several members on here sell parts to dramatically increase the strength of this reel. Assuming your reel already has a 5+1 stack of HT-100s I'd still be 100% confident in it, but stronger and smoother is always nicer.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jeff smith

Cheers Ron,
My Senators are all 'lefties' a couple of which I converted myself so I'm not afraid to tear these babies down.I have to admit, I like the idea of a stainless gear sleeve and maybe double dogging.I think the side plates I have on the 113s have cut outs for both left , and right handed dogs so there shouldn't be too much material to remove for a mod.Might have to think on it .Are SS gear sleeves available in left hand wind configuration?

Ron Jones

I do not believe that Alan designed a left hand gear sleeve. You can double dog a brass sleeve for reliability and do everything else. I have heard that the dogs and sleeve should be the same material and have never violated the rule so I know no better. A stock 113H gear sleeve is good to 20 pounds easy which is mre than enough drag for your fishing I would think. I've caught 100+ pound rays with less.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

Quote from: Mel B on November 25, 2013, 05:19:32 PM
greased CF washers? will prevent lockups since LH SS sleeves are N/A....

um, actually, i have a small stash of left handed gear sleeves for the 155, the 500, the 505 and the 113h......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I could use a LH 113H gear sleeve and possibly a 500 one, I'll check to see if I have the other LH 500 parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Well,
Their I go, putting my foot in it again.
Well, if the Boss is willing to sell you one, I highly recomend a gear sleeve. It just turns every reel I've used one on into a totally different class of animal. That of course means the dog(s) should be stainless also.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

jeff smith

Quote from: Mel B on November 25, 2013, 06:41:56 PM
Quote from: alantani on November 25, 2013, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Mel B on November 25, 2013, 05:19:32 PM
greased CF washers? will prevent lockups since LH SS sleeves are N/A....

um, actually, i have a small stash of left handed gear sleeves for the 155, the 500, the 505 and the 113h......   :-\

good for the few "THE 1 %"... ;D ;D

Mel,
I'm actually right handed.Over here more and more right handed anglers are beginning to use LHW multiplier (baitcaster)reels particularly for lure fishing.Interestingly, most fixed spool reels sold here, despite being ambidextrous, are used LHW , and yet multipliers are RHW.Persoanally, it's never made any sense to me why.
Might be a 'Brit' thing.

Being right handed my right arm is stronger than my left-therefore I hold the rod with my right.It just feels 'right' (sorry to confuse)
What I find even more confusing is watching someone using a RHW multiplier swap rod hands to cast, yet most anglers do this.
I don't.

Check this out
http://www.amb01.com/01lr.html

;It was actually quite difficult to find my leftie Senators and, as I said, I had to buy parts to convert two of them. Luckily, Penn parts over here can still be had at very reasonable prices.I do have quite a collection of old Penns in RHW and some get used but,I'd MUCH rather wind left and would love to convert ALL of them(one day)
Instead , I use leftie Abus and Avets.

I might have to think on Alan;s leftie sleeves.

Ron Jones

When my grandfather started teaching me and my cousin to cast "Penns" (I was considerably older before I realized somebody other than Penn made conventional reels) he told us I had the advantage because I am left handed. Haveing the handle on the non dominant side has a ton of advantages. If the fish is strong enough to warrent using the rod, you are holding on to the rod with your strong arm. You don't have to let go of the rod to swap hands to start the retrieve. You have your most dexterous finger laying line on the spool etc. etc.

Only way to go in my not so humble opinion.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

jeff smith

Quote from: noyb72 on November 25, 2013, 11:22:48 PM
When my grandfather started teaching me and my cousin to cast "Penns" (I was considerably older before I realized somebody other than Penn made conventional reels) he told us I had the advantage because I am left handed. Haveing the handle on the non dominant side has a ton of advantages. If the fish is strong enough to warrent using the rod, you are holding on to the rod with your strong arm. You don't have to let go of the rod to swap hands to start the retrieve. You have your most dexterous finger laying line on the spool etc. etc.

Ron

Way to go Ron...so there's two of us mate.

CapeFish

Quote from: jeff smith on November 26, 2013, 06:21:14 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on November 25, 2013, 11:22:48 PM

Ron

Way to go Ron...so there's two of us mate.

Plus another one = 3  :) and the same here that all conventional reels were called Penn!