965 service question

Started by gdown, November 26, 2013, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdown

I'm in the middle of servicing my brothers 965. I changed out a few rusted parts but now when I engage the reel sometimes I hear the trip ratchet making noise and the reel won't engage. Does anyone know how to fix this and what's causing it in the first place? ???

Ron Jones

Normally, you have to open it up and figure it out. I'd guess it is a burr on the eccentric/jack/yoke etc. Something is holding up the pinion from engaging.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gdown

Thanks for the reply, I had the reel broken down and replaced the pinion, yoke and spool bearing along with the AR bearing and bearing clutch shaft. It engages but not all the time. Everything looks in order but I must be missing something. :-\

akfish

I believe the pinion yoke is beveled on one side and must be installed correctly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

gdown

I opened up the reel and turned the yoke over. It still happens but I noticed that if I put inward pressure on the handle the reel goes into gear. Any ideas why that would make a difference?

Ron Jones

Is the under gear sleeve washer bigger than the ratchet?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gdown

No its the right washer, I'm thinking of just ordering a new trip ratchet maybe its worn down slightly.

Ron Jones

I forgot about those in that reel. It isn't bad if their isn't a burr or a bend.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"