Banax Kaigen 1000 repair

Started by Rothmar2, November 28, 2013, 08:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

This one is going to be tough.  I've never messed with the electrical portion of any of these reels, just the drag washers and bearings.  There has to be some way to contact the manufacturer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rothmar2

Quote from: Macs on April 02, 2022, 05:19:30 AMGood day mate!
Hi everybody- azli from kuala lumpur malaysia.
having problem with my kaigen 1000 recently. So searching the net and lead me to this page. By reading and study all the posting here which is help me alot. all of the comment and advised very helpfull together with the picture. But problem that i am facing with my kaigen still not solve so i would like some assist here.

My kaigen at the beginning give symtom cannot winding in the line when strike the fish - few time forward and backward the lever untill sometime work and many time doesnt work. Untill it not response at all now.
So currently i already dismantle all the section and carefully working on hiw to open up the motor drive compartment to see inside. Unsuccessful yet !
Look forward If someone could advise further where to look for the problem or faulty parts.

Thank you and regards
Azli

Hi Azli,

Are you referring to the lever that activates the electric drive, and the electric motor is not operating to reel in the line?
Sorry I haven't answered sooner, I don't check in every day like I used to.

Chris

Derek88

Hey guys i really need your help. I purchased 4 kaigen 1000 a week ago but i have the same problem with all 4 of them.
After spooling all of them with 80lbs braid. I found that the drag is very weak. So i decided to measure it.
The maximum drag i got is 11lbs! Used a scale to measure the drag.
Is there something i missed or did wrong?
I didn't input the line PE rating when spooling the reel. Could it be the reason?
Thank you for helping me guys :d

boon

Is the braid slipping on the spool? The drag is mechanical; changing the reel settings only affects the line counter accuracy.

Did you buy them new or used?

Derek88

Quote from: boon on June 16, 2022, 02:20:19 AMIs the braid slipping on the spool? The drag is mechanical; changing the reel settings only affects the line counter accuracy.

Did you buy them new or used?

Hi! They are all new. They have been spooled tightly with 1000 meters of line so there cant be slippage. Banax said that the drag can be adjusted to a maximum of 35 lbs. But i dont have experience adjusting the drag in a kaigen 1000.
Can you please help?

boon

They're just a regular old star drag. How tight have you got the star wound down?

Derek88

Quote from: boon on June 16, 2022, 11:03:17 PMThey're just a regular old star drag. How tight have you got the star wound down?
If i tighten it really really hard i am getting a maximum of 20 lbs drag . If I put in more pressure I am afraid the star drag will break

Derek88

Hey guys when you first received your new kaigen did you have to force on the star drag to get a drag of 20lbs?
Or was it smooth?

alantani

any chance that you have braid that is slipping on the spool? that is almost always the source of the problem.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

QuoteThey have been spooled tightly with 1000 meters of line so there cant be slippage.

While packing the GSP line well so that it will does dig in and bind is a good idea,  it will also make it more likely to slip on th spool. The line grips to itself, forming a hard "puck" that can spin in unison if not tightly anchored to the spool.  The only way to know for sure is to mark the spool with a felt pin or some tape, and see if the spool slows or stops when you pull line against drag.

If braid is tied to the spool with a single wrap to a standard arbor knot, slippage is a risk. 

If  line slippage is not a problem:

Reel manufacturers are often "optimistic" about stated max drag.  Sometimes the drag stack is not setup with enough spacers, so you run out of real estate tightening the star.  This could be the case for your reel.

Often the published max drag is never achievable, or if used for extended runs would damage the reel.  My suspicion has always been that star  drags stacks are setup often  at the factory to make  difficult to set at or near the published max.  I stick extra spacers and/or bellevilles in  many of my star drags in order to have a more reasonable number of turns in the useful drag setting, and not have to winch down on the star to reach my max drag.

Don't own any electric reels myself.  No idea about what the practical max drag for the Banax is.  Twenty lbs is a decent amount of drag, and requires a pretty robust reel for extended runs.  Would be curious to know what other Banax owners see.

-J