Adding level wind to ambassadeur

Started by fishhawk, November 28, 2013, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Looking for info on installing level wind on 'bassadeur's 8000-10000

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Abu Garcia did make a LW version of the 9000, the Bg Game 9000, but I believe it has been discontinued. Adding a LW to an existing reel would be a big job. Not only would you need to tap the left side plate to install an idler gear, but you'd need to find a worm that is as long as the reel is wide. IMHO, if you need  level wind on a reel that size, then look at one of several good large level winds on the market -- Penn Fathom LW and Shimano Tekota are my favorites.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Robert Janssen

Well really it could be said that the majority of Ambassadeur 9000 and 10000 came with levelwind, and still do. They've been made for a very long time in a few different configurations, so i think if you provided details on age and model, maybe our resident Ambassadeur illuminati Ken would be able to suggest which parts may fit.

Whether it is difficult or not, not sure. They would probably have been smart enough to simplify things for themselves at the ABU factory -in fact they're famous for it- so maybe the provisions are already there. Never checked, m'self.

Otherwise, some careful drilling and filing, and some ambition...

fishhawk

Thanks men,Thats what I was wondering, if the non-level wind had the provisions in them (7600-10000 swedish) to be converted into levelwinds.I see on the bay that I can get 8000-1000 (non level winds) fairly cheap and would be ideal if I could do the conversion on them

Ken_D

Quote from: fishhawk on November 28, 2013, 02:13:08 PM
Looking for info on installing level wind on 'bassadeur's 8000-10000

I'm a little late to the party...pray, tell: what colour are the side plates on yours, and what are the numbers on the frame foot. Are you referring to the latest Chinese i type reels, or the Taiwan Big Game reels, or??
Cryptic information needs more meat.
Anything is possible with enough time, and enough money.  I have no personal experiance with the mod you want to do, but after you report which reel you have, I can check factory stuff to see if it will work out. Cheers, KD.

fishhawk

thanks ken just thought someone off hand might know if sweedish made 7500-10000 without level wind could be easily converted to level wind, in other words can you you easily convert a c to a cl ? I can look at schematic and see if it has post for cog and frame's are the same just hoping to hear from someone that has done it. thank-you

Ken_D

Hi, Actually, not. As those above have already indicated, the parts count to go B/A will cost almost as much as a new reel, if not more, based on a whole as a sum of its parts.  To go A/B (level wind to naught) is a cakewalk.