115 9/0 spool rubbing

Started by ropewrench, November 28, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ropewrench

the spool on my 9/0 new to me reel is rubbing the right side-plate.
I think it is the spool spread problem.
however it seems it could be a bearing problem too

what do you guys think
ll

thanks kelly

Tightlines667

I would pull the bearings, pull their shields, clean em thoroughly w/carb cleaner/compressed air, and then check em by spinning em.  If they don't spin freely w/absolutely no roughness replace them w/ new.  Check the spool, by placing bearings in either side of the shaft, and spilling it.  make sure it, or the shaft is not warped.. there should be no visable wobble when spinning in either the spool edge or shaft.  If spool is ok, bearings are good to go, reassemble and test.  If it's still rubbing,  get some thin copper shims that fit the right side spool shaft and add (up to 3?) shims as needed to center the spool.  This should solve your problem.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ropewrench

I'm thinking shimming is the way to go
the spool is straight and spins great
it is touching the side plate and there is a gap between the shaft and bushing
in the first picture is looking through the drag hole and there is a 1/32 space

If in it's past if the spool spread that much to leave a 1/32 difference, I would think it would have blown something up
Other thought is it is not all of the original parts
Does anyone have a width of a spool and length of the right side bushing?

Tightlines667

Yea, I'd try shimming it then.  If it were me, I'd consider swapping the bushings out for full greased and open spool bearings too.  Scott at Penn parts can get you the bearings, and shims.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Kelly!
The end of that spool doesn't look right to me. Do you have bearings or bushings in your side Plates?
Some more pictures of your side plates and a better pic of that spool will help me diagnose your problem.
What is the yellow thing around the spool?
I don't want to be the bad news bearer, but it looks like someone may have modified that one piece spool to fit your bushing side plates. These spools don't spread easily, especially on a 9/0. I don't think that reel has the power to spread a one piece spool.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

It appears the spool shaft has been modified. Did the reel come with a handle when you received it? I wonder if it was mounted on a Fish-Winch.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ropewrench

They are bushings
the yellow stuff I is the ECCENTRIC JACK
I pulled gear train and drags out to see what was going on
the right side plate on the inside doesn't show wear but it does rub
the left side is good and you can adjust it to the point the spool rubs
the spool looks fine it is 3 7/16" cheek to cheek on the outside

ropewrench

more

Shark Hunter

After looking at the pics Kelley. I think your reel is fine. That first pic of the spool didn't show the end. It looked like it was cut off. I see now, it was just not showing it. You just need to shim it. The non handle side bearing has an adjustment you can back off by turning it. You will still need some small shims to keep it from rubbing on the other side. You can get them from mysticparts.com, but you could easily find a substitution for a no cost fix.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That first picture had me fooled. I would try one of these:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-114.aspx

$5 is a small investment.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Yea, Fooled me too Sal. Here is another example of a Bushing reel with a one piece spool. I have yet to come across one.(Mainly because I steer clear of Bushing reels from now on) You learn something New every day! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That spool has to be from the first run, I'm guessing late 50's. It isn't a 3 piece spool, but I'm betting the spool shaft is 21mm, not 30mm as most one piece spools.

Shark Hunter

Ahh! Good to know Buddy! Good to know.
So, There could be a bushed 12/0 with a one piece spool out there that was original equipment. :P
Would the shaft also be 21mm?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

It would have to be 21mm, the 30mm shaft wouldn't fit on a plate with the bushing.

Shark Hunter

You are the Man Sal!
You Continue to teach me all the Tricks! ;)
Life is Good!