Penn 349 (narrow)Aluminum Spool

Started by funhog, November 29, 2013, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funhog

First time logging on, and my second post on this oustanding web site!

After a 15yr layoff, I've Just recently re discovered the addiction of chasing tuna on 2-day trips out of San Diego. Looks like the gear I purchased back in the 80s-90s (Penn w/Tiburon conversions and the Newell P-F series reels) are still verry much accepted and some really significant up-grades can be made to improve their performance.

I have a Penn 349 Whhoo special from Newell that I reealy like. I also have a stock Penn 349 in great shape and I would like to replace the heavy metal spool with a narrow aluminum one.  I heard they exist and that Newell( or someone) may have made an aluminum spool in the narrow std. size for this reel. If so: Did it improve the performance(casting) or weaken the reel in any way ?  If anyone has any info on this spool or can validate its existance I would appreciate it. Where I could purchase one - even better!
Thanks to everyone on this site...what an awsome asset it is!

Keta

Putting in an aluminum spool was the best mod I've done on my 349H reels.

They are hard to find but here's a used one. 
http://berinsontackle.com/products-page/1-reels/newell-spool-for-penn-master-mariner-349-reels-pre-owned/

You can use a 113H SS gearsleeve if you want to upgrade and I have a few 15-349 AR dogs left.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I knew Lee would be the answer guy on this one.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

I'm still looking for a standard width Tiburon frame though.... :(

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

One day, when I get everything else done, I'll put together a Newelled 349. I think it would be the perfect open water King jigging reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Dang! 85 bucks! :o
I can buy a new Aluminum 12/0 spool for $75. :)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 29, 2013, 08:55:55 PM
Dang! 85 bucks! :o
I can buy a new Aluminum 12/0 spool for $75. :)

I paid $85 for my new Newell 349 spool, there are not many in existence.

Mark Twain

funhog

KETA:  Thanks for the info and the web address. Did it improve the reels performance and casting noticabbly... did you use the spacing bars( post) or find some Newell frame post also?

George4741

Go for it, Funhog.  I've been eyeing that spool for a long time, but I would have already bought it if I really wanted it.  However, I'm still looking for an aluminum Longbeach 66 spool (probably nonexistent :()
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: funhog on November 29, 2013, 09:13:53 PM
KETA:  Thanks for the info and the web address. Did it improve the reels performance and casting noticabbly... did you use the spacing bars( post) or find some Newell frame post also?

I don't cast with this reel, it's used for deep water Pacific halibut and I put 3 Penn 501 bars on it.  The reel is much lighter and I think it will cast better.

Mark Twain

funhog

Keta, I found a newell spool and it will be dliverwed this week,
After reading all the cool info on Drag washers, Handle up-grades, supper lubes, spectra and the like - think I may want to do it all. You mentioned the S.S. grear sleve and dog. How does this improve whats in it. and I'm being honest.. I don't know. My gut feel is everything inside the reel is brass. Will mixing different metals cause issues  for the softer metal ...not sure what a little salt water migration might do to the mix. THanks for your comments,.  " grasshopper"  and learning every day!

Keta

The SS gear sleeve will not round off where it enters the handle when the reel is used at the top end of the drag range, the SS dos is a good addition to the SS gear sleeve and at $3.00 each not a big expense.  Grease and servicing the reel will keep electrolysis to a minimum.

Mark Twain

funhog

Keta: I got the narrow aluminum spool  and the three side spacing bars (501). Id like to add the SS gear sleave and SS dog set-up you suggested if you still have them.  Please email me: JohnA@cbpmail.net  and let me know how to proceed.
And once again ... thanks for the input and help! This will be a fun reel for next season