purchase decision

Started by raider, November 30, 2013, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raider

hi,

i mentioned in my introduction that i am a catfish angler from austria. Normally we use spinning reel like Penn Spinfisher 950 or Shimano Spheros.
A catfish reel has to achieve three criteria... A high line capacity (like penn ssm 950), 20lb drag pressure and robustness (I want to catch more than one big catfish before I buy a new reel)    ;)

The Penn SSM 950 is a prime example. Currently I use conventional reel, because nearly every conventional reel can be used to catch catfish. There is only one problem: in Austria conventional reels are something exotic. I have to order the reels in Germany or Italy . Most of my friends and colleagues have never ever seen a conventional reel...

In the next two month I want to buy new conventional reels. Now I tend to Omotos VS12. I don't need high line capacity, because I want to use the reel from boat, so I need about 150 meters 0,56mm Power Pro. The Problem is, that the reel is difficult to get. Is there a better alternative in the same size and price segment? Would you say this reel is catfish qualified? If a Penn SSM 950  is a averaged catfish reel.

best regards,
daniel

philaroman

supposedly, D.A.M. Champion were very solid & you may be able to find some, locally.  the biggest regular star-drag Champion (800-size) should be fine for normal cats; the lever-drag Power Champion (430/450-size) would probably be better for big Wels [make sure its original German or identical later Japan-made Champion -- NOT some downgraded third-world version that "rented" the name]

paal

There's not a bunch of reels out there that are physically small and will fish reliably with 20lbs of drag over time. With small leverdrags, we all know that the pinion bearing and left spool bearings tends to get crushed at these drag settings. My work around for this has been to jig at much lighter drag settings, and only use the highest drag setting when I've hooked up and realize I need it. This is not always feasible for all species and conditions, but work fairly well for e.g. halibut jigging. But I still need to replace those bearings from time to time. The Omoto VS 12 (an Avet clone, I believe) is a good example of a well functioning and cheap LD reel that would not like to be fished at 20lbs, but should manage up to maybe a third of that without breaking down "immediately".

Star drag is better that way, since no bearings get crushed by sideways loading. 20lbs is still a lot, because for a star drag the antireverse is placed at the main gear, which means that the antireverse sees several times the drag force due to the gearing from spool to main gear (20lbs of drag force on the spool means more than 80lbs on the antireverse at the main gear). So a physically small star drag capable of fighting strong fish at 20lbs reliably won't be cheap.

I apologize in advance if all this was obvious :-)

Cheers,
Paal

Newell Nut

Looks like a newell 220 or 229 would handle this job easily. How to get it to you I guess is another problem.

Tiddlerbasher

Okuma Andros? I specifically purchased mine for catfish (Giant Mekong cats in Thailand). 350m 65lb braid 2 speed - light as a feather - casts fairly well - very strong for it's size - good drag 15lb at strike (20lbs on full) - handles beautifully.
Everybody will have their favourites. Play with as many as possible - there will always be a couple that just seem 'right' in your hand  :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i'd recommend a modified used 113H or you can buy a 113HN...

floating doc

A 113HN would easily handle this task but might be a bit large.  A 112H with all of the modifications like frame,  stainless sleeve and double dogs, drag upgrade, etc. would do the job. Not an easy off-the-shelf purchase though.
Central Florida

raider

Hey,

Thank you for the first answers...

i never heard from newell, so i entered newell in the ebay sarch. In Europe no hint. After i changed the search to worldwide, i got more then 1300 hints ;). So this reel drops out, because I want to buy in the European Union  because of the duty.

i would love to "play" with conventional reel to find the right one, there is only the problem that i don't know a shop which sells such reels... in my federal state and the surrounding area there is no shop with a assortment.

Austria is antediluvian in relation of fishing tackle, but the situation improves. Some years ago Penn or Fin Nor was unknown. Today you get this reels everywhere. But, everyone apply Okuma, Quantum and Tica as junk.

maybe i should describe why i want a 20lb drag:

Normally we fish from the bank. We take a boat and place the bait fish near a sunken tree or another hot spot. If we hook a fish, it should be nearly impossible to take line form the reel (for the fish). A fish must weight about 30 punds to take line... .
This means that the rood stands 99% of the time on the bank and nothing happens. i don't want to use the reel for spinning, jigging or casting.

My current drag setting is about 7,5kg (Penn Spinnfisher) the rest is buffer.

best regards
Daniel

Bunnlevel Sharker

Maybe a shimano tekota, Jeremy wade on river monsters was using them for wels catfish
Grayson Lanier

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

have you heard of maxel? if my memory serves me correctly, you can get these reels in germany. read this topic started by fishingjack;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3632.0

Irish Jigger

I have a friend who fishes the river Ebro in Spain for giant catfish. He recommends the original Penn star drag,level wind 340GTI or a Penn 4/0 if you don't need a level wind. The original GTI may be hard to find but do not touch the later GT2 model which from his experience is an inferior reel.

Reinaard van der Vossen

For catfish you don't need a reel that is capable of dealing with all the salt intrussion of offshore reels and with the powerfull high speed long distance runs of tuna's or the like.

You have much more flexibility and a wider choice because some of the limits that apply to offshoe fishing do not apply to catfish fishing (although I'm not a catfish fisher).

You may need much drag power for lock down but not much sustainability for fish fleeing at 60 MPH against high drag.

I would say if you want 20 lb at least and have the reel for a long time that the omoto might be a bit smallish although it can do the job. I own a VS10 and it can put out 20 lb of drag but I would'nt fish it at that high drag constantly.

If you want something like that (seaworthy leverdrag, full alu etc) than you might want to go a tad bigger or find one that has double drags like some maxel's or M&W ocean star's. (takleking.de as example)

Just don't believe all the stated drag's that are listed sometimes. Sometimes it is stated what the dragwasher can put out but not what the rest of the reel can handle 

ossipeter

Hi Daniel,
look for the Avet Raptor or Maxcel http://www.tackleking.de/
oder hier: http://www.70grad-nord.de/
Gruß aus Franken
Peter

Ron Jones

To be honest, I really think a 112H with 5:1 gears and all the fixins are the awnser. The only way I see you getting one of those is to work out with someone on here to build you one and ship it over. I think you would be pleasently suprised and set for life.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"