Recent trade

Started by Makule, December 03, 2013, 02:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

A guy had me work on two Shimano Beastmaster 130 reels (he had three).  The reels needed new brakes so I cut and put in CF brakes.  His third reel was supposed to be "for parts".  The crank would not turn.  Not knowing what the problem was, I asked him if he would be interested in selling/trading.  He asked me for a good condition 6/0 Senator with cast bronze spool.  Seemed reasonable so we made the deal.

Upon opening up the reel, I found that it was one that I'd worked on previously (changed the original gel brake disk for one of butyl rubber).  The problem was apparent immediately.  There was no maintenance (and probably not even wash down after use) so the grease on the gears were dried solid.  Simply solution.  Didn't have the time to check everything out carefully (e.g., bearings) but I suspect the rest of the reel is fine.

After a cleaning and lube job, the brake disk will be changed to CF, the spool will be cleaned and painted.  Assuming everything else is good, it will likely become my go-to reel for my big game (if I can afford the 250 lb braid line).

Did I get a reasonable trade?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

pcde123

idk how much u worked to get the first 2 , but the beast maters run for quite a bit, considering that the reel is recoverable, def a good trade, its wierd that the guy would invest so much money into 3 reels but not service them.....not very hard to do , i learned to do it from alantanis tutorials and all i started out with was a screw driver, an old bottle of wd-40 , and a 1 dollar bottle of reel oil,(im 16, on a budget) im still learning but i have a good grasp on convential penns and simple spinning reels

George4741

I've seen Beastmaster 80/130's for $350 to $700 on the net.  Is this the same reel?  Is it anything like Alan's Beastmaster 4/0 tutorial?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Tightlines667

How did the butyl rubber hold up after your first service?  I recently serviced a 130 and replaced the silicon disc w/butyle rubber.  If I understand you correctly, you are pulling the butyle rubber and replacing w/CF, along w/replacing cotton fiber drag disc w/CF? 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Makule

Quote from: George4741 on December 03, 2013, 03:35:30 AM
I've seen Beastmaster 80/130's for $350 to $700 on the net.  Is this the same reel?  Is it anything like Alan's Beastmaster 4/0 tutorial?
George

It is a 130.  The 80 is smaller.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 03, 2013, 04:08:34 AM
How did the butyl rubber hold up after your first service?  I recently serviced a 130 and replaced the silicon disc w/butyle rubber.  If I understand you correctly, you are pulling the butyle rubber and replacing w/CF, along w/replacing cotton fiber drag disc w/CF? 

I just replaced the butyl rubber washer as the silicon was melted.  Didn't change anything else.  There is a cloth "washer" on the other side of the plate, but it seems to be good so I may not change that ("if it ain't broken, don't fix it").