Greasing side plates

Started by Alto Mare, December 03, 2013, 04:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

A while back, a member asked why I like to grease non aluminum plates, this should give the answer:

lower part of the eccentric spring was missing, from the rust.
I believe this reel was never opened

cleaned all parts and reassembled it, this should prevent it from happening again

I must say, it didn't turn out too bad, all parts are original except for the new eccentric spring

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I also think by lightly greasing the sideplstes sliws down the moisture absorption of the sideplates them make them swell.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

That doesn't even look like the same reel Sal!
Did you polish that crud off the handle with a Dremel?
Life is Good!

Irish Jigger

That handle's like new ;) Good job Sal.
Can you still get those double posts?

Alto Mare

Yes Tom, they're still available, but I just wanted to show before and after. You already know my reels don't get closed up without the goodies ;). I will set this one aside and patiently wait for a narrow spool.
if those are still impossible to find, I might have to break down and buy a Tib kit, but not for a long while.

Daron, I separate brass parts and soak everything in Simple Green for a couple of days, brass parts go in distilled vinegar, but not for very long.
This one needed the dremel and wire brush on the yoke, jack and eccentric. Always grease the eccentric before installing, this one was welded to the plate.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Nice work as always Sal. You brought it back to life :D
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Unbelievable!

That's amazing how you transform your reels.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

Thanks guys. Nothing special here, everyone could do the same, just a little patience needed.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

grease is the word is the word is the word... :D ;D

floating doc

That sure did clean up nicely!  If you're going to narrow it, I have a 500 that needs a spool.
Central Florida

john2244

Nice work Sal.  Also, I have a new aluminum Penn 501 spool for you. It will be in the mail on Friday.

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: floating doc on December 04, 2013, 01:41:16 PM
That sure did clean up nicely!  If you're going to narrow it, I have a 500 that needs a spool.
Sorry, this one I'm going to need. I purchased the reel for the plates and spool.
The spool is going in my Surfmaster 250, I have the 100, 150, 200 and now will have the 250, but still need a couple of additional things, that will complete my Surfmasters.

Alto Mare

Quote from: john2244 on December 04, 2013, 04:28:15 PM
Nice work Sal.  Also, I have a new aluminum Penn 501 spool for you. It will be in the mail on Friday.

John
John, it's amazing how you're always there to help. If Alan was giving out wrenches to those that are always willing to help others by sending parts, you and a few others here would have a box full wrenches. ;D
Thank you buddy!
Please check your PM.
Sal

floating doc

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2013, 10:09:14 PM
Quote from: floating doc on December 04, 2013, 01:41:16 PM
Sorry, this one I'm going to need. I purchased the reel for the plates and spool.
The spool is going in my Surfmaster 250, I have the 100, 150, 200 and now will have the 250, but still need a couple of additional things, that will complete my Surfmasters.

OK, so a 500 spool fits a Surfmaster 250. I didn't know that. What other modifications can be done to that reel?

I worked for a veterinarian in about 1980 that had one he bought when he was on his honeymoon. He was in his seventies then, so I figure he bought the reel in the forties when they first came out. He gave it to me, and I haven't had any idea what to do with it since. It's still got the original Dacron line on it. Wish I had the box!
Central Florida

MarkD

Nice job on that Sal. I think I saw a post that you did with a big senator and saw how you greased everything up. I followed your idea in my jigmaster with a light coat.