Penn 560L

Started by ed167, December 04, 2013, 01:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed167

I have two new 560L reels. During my first use I notice that the spools jump every once in a while I am reeling in. I was using 5 oz jigs, but it also did it while catching small sea bass. At first I thought the line wasn't in the notch, but as I watch closer while turning the reel handle I can see the spool slipping? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Ed

Cone

If its not the drag slipping then maybe the live liner mechanism is not fully disengaging causing the shaft to turn.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

ed167

Thanks Cone... I changed the Live Liner drag from high to low and it still happened. I check the spool play in the 560L vs my 560 and they seem to have slightly more, but the difference is so slight, I may be imagining it.?

Cone

The Live Liner drag is very weak. It's only supposed to control the bait. When the spool jumps what happens? Is it a jerky drag on the spool? When you start reeling the live liner should disengage. When the live liner is engaged the whole spool shaft turns and the back drags are in use. You need to see if it's the spool drag or the live liner. If it's the spool, grease the carbon fiber washers.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD