first snapper trip of the season

Started by raumati01, December 04, 2013, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raumati01

Went out tonight, not far from where I live. I usually fish further up the coast because I know more about that area but I joined the local boat club and wanted to find some spots here. The first place we anchored up produced nothing but "mother in law fish" so we moved to the sand and it wasn't too long before the snapper were coming over the side. On my side of the boat my TLD  15/30 with Alans handle drag and bearing upgrade was doing the damage on the other my mate was using a thunnus 4000 on a t curve.
We ended up with 15 and a new local spot to get some fresh fish.

wallacewt

always hard fishing a new area
you done well
you wont have to smoke those ones andrew,
they will be nice and moist.
cheers.

raumati01

Yeah thats a nice eating size, I hardly ever smoke snapper but if I do it goes on a cracker with a bit of cream cheese. Kingfish on the other hand I prefer to smoke.

conchydong

Looks like some good eats. It's funny how similar fish in different parts of the world are called by different names. In the US, those fish would be called Porgies. I believe they are also called Sea Bream in some areas of the world.

Irish Jigger

Known as Black Spot or Red Sea Bream over here.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

can you pm me your address for some good eats?  :D ;D thanks for sharing!

conchydong

Coincidently, my buddy and I got out yesterday afternoon for a few hours of bottom fishing and we got two keeper Porgies. Notice the similarities to your Snappers from the other side of the world. These fish were caught in 340'.

Bryan Young

Ooh, I love Snapper.  They are known as Tai were I used to live. My family in Japan used to eat that all the time.  We used to make Tai Shabu (like Shabu Shabu with Kobe beef except you use Tai)...um, I'm hungry now.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

raumati01

I think they farm a lot of tai in Japan now, we should here to I guess.

My son caught this ,

When we was about 8, we were fishing together and he couldn't catch a snapper so I started hooking them up and passing him the rod,he caught two and I sent the line back down again. I hooked up a small one and passed the rod to him, then all hell broke loose and the rod got a good bend in it, I asked him to pass me the rod back as I thought it was too big for him and there was no way he was doing that . So I had to watch as he slowly bought this thing back to the boat, it put in a few decent runs too. When he had it pretty much beaten the reels gears started stripping [they are the weak point in Mitchell nautilus] and he passed the rod to me. I only had to nurse it a few metres back to the boat, when he got it on board we both were sitting there looking at it and he said
"dad , can I say a swear word?" , "
"um ok son"
"dad that's a bloody huge snapper".

It went 18.5 lbs, I still haven't beaten his record.

floating doc

Yup; that's a bloody huge snapper! Love the story behind it!
Central Florida

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Tightlines667

Those porgie heads are the best for making fish chowder...hands down!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.