Stainless steel dogs

Started by surfcaster, April 17, 2010, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Does anyone make a stainless or hardened steel dog for the 113h? The stainless yolk from smooth drag is awesome. After 1 trip of jigging I could see a groove getting worn into the new stock brass penn yolk. I changed out the gear sleeve to stainless, the next weakest link is the
copper or brass dog. [I have both in stock.] Thanks, Rich

alantani

i've never seen one, but that would be the next logical step!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

Realisticly, how much would a stainless dog improve the reel?

The way I see it, you have a stainless yoke to remove the grooving from the pinion. You have a stainless gear sleeve to eliminate rounding off at the handle. The compression force on the dog is distributed laterally into the bridge screws, whereas the pressures on the gears themselves are distributed transversely on the teeth (I think I used those directional terms right). The width of teeth is a much smaller length than the length of the dog. Therefore, in theory, the teeth of the gear should fail before the dog itself. So without an udgrade to stainless gears, a stainless dog is unnecessary. Correct?

Evan

alantani

Quote from: CarolinaCustomReels on April 19, 2010, 12:18:30 AM

Realisticly, how much would a stainless dog improve the reel?

probably not much.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

Thinking about it further, I feel like a stainless gear set would be the first step.

I see a fair amount of Senators and I use them regularly fishing for kings off Carolina piers or sharks out of the surf. The 114H is my go-to reel for big fish.

The theoretical order of failure when it comes to drag pressures would be yoke grooving then sleeve rounding. Next is a tossup between the teeth failing or the keyed drag washer loosing footing. Then damage to the dog and potentially the connection between the bridge and the shaft. Frame damage would occur somewhere in there, not really sure where.

I could see the use for a stainless dog though. If you've upgraded the gear sleeve to a stainless one, the repetitive stress of stainless gear teeth on brass dog can lead to rounding of the dog itself. So moving to a stainless dog (while not upping your drag pressures very much) will prolong the life of your reel and keep it running smoothly.

This is mostly just guesstimating on my part, so let me know if I'm missing something. There are plenty of guys here with more experience than I have and a better grasp of mechanics.

I'd like to see someone produce stainless greas for the Senator series, but realistically (I just realized that I spelled that wrong in the previous post  :-[) I think that if you need more drag than what you can get out of currently available upgrades, it's time to think about moving up to a stronger reel.

Evan

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Rich, Lee (Keta) makes ss dogs for the 113h. He probably has some and Alan Tani has some of Lee's dogs as well. If you get a ss gear sleeve from Alan he can include some of Lee's dogs with the order.
I have a few Penn's with ss gears from their anniversary reels. Black Pearl is working on some ss gears in higher gear ratio's than stock. I got a set for the 113h and the workmanship is amazing.
       The new Tiburon frames are very nice. At higher drags they keep the frame from torqing which may be the cause of stripped gears. I have one narrow JVariance frame and although it is very nice, I like the topless Tibs better.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

Hi Rich, Alan is out of SS Gear Sleeves at the moment.  I may have a few that I was going to install in my PGs.  Send me a PM to remind me to check if I have any.  I also have SS dogs as well, and can also provide you with a drag washer that fits under the main gear as well.  Let me know.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Doug

Hi Bryan  I am very intrested in getting  a few 2 or 3 ss dogs for my jigmaster 501's. Does anyone still have some that I can buy. If so who can I contact   Doug

Keta

Contact Bryan, Alan or me for SS Penn AR dogs from a 100 to a 16/0 and some Newel dogs.  I wouldn't recomend using SS dogs with brass gear sleeves, upgrade the gearsleeve at the same time.  Alan has kits, Bryan might have them too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Doug

Hi Lee  I know you made these for some  of the guys I didn't know if you had any left.i would like to get some for some rebuilding i'm doing. I already put in the ss sleves and yokes and when Alan gets the gears I hopefully will get them too. Can I PM you my info and what I need? If so let me know how much and where to send the check. Thanks     Doug

Keta

Mark Twain

Doug

Hi Lee PM sent  Thanks Doug