Custom cut washers

Started by Alto Mare, December 06, 2013, 11:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

A (1+7) drag configuration is possible using Bryan's custom cut metal washers and .70mm carbon fiber washers.

If you're adventurous as I am, you could easily double that by using Keta's (Lee) inserts.

If you scroll down on here, it will let you know  how many reels the 5-66 gear will fit.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5-66.aspx

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Lee, are these hex inserts for the 113H available yet? Im going to need a couple if so  :D what kinda drag do you feel will come outta the hex insert Sal?
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I have a few of the first run and plan on cutting some more soon.  The problem is they are cut from thick stock with a lot of waste and run higher than I think I want to sell them for.  Check your PM's and I'll get back to you when I get back from the shop.

I also have a few for the Penn 5-60  (60, 65, 85, 99, 100, 110, 124, 140L, 145, 146L, 150, 200, 250, 258 and 259) and 5-66 gears (66,67,68,111, 112, and 113).
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I would like an 113H insert too Lee! ;D
Did you ever get those 114H keyed washers cut?

The hex washers should have arrived, the Christmas rush might be causing a delay.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

These are very cool. I really like the hex system, it just seems to make a smoother drag. What metal washer are you using Lee?
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on December 06, 2013, 12:47:19 PM
Lee, are these hex inserts for the 113H available yet? Im going to need a couple if so  :D what kinda drag do you feel will come outta the hex insert Sal?

Quite a bit, you can control the numbers by stocking two carbon fiber washers on top of each other.
it's your world, do as you please.
As mentioned numerous times before, I'm not doing these upgrades to push these small reels to some crazy numbers, I'm doing it simply because the reel feels much smoother at its intended max.
I wouldn't mind pushing a surfmaster at 15#, a jigmaster at 20#, a 113h past 30#and 114H at 35.
those numbers shouldn't give you any issues, but  you need to use all of the other goodies available.

Ron, yes to me the inserts or hex gears are much smoother than stock.
if you think about it, you have two keyed metal washers that rotate on a carbon fiber washer at the same time, one on top and one at the bottom, this happens on every carbon fiber washers in the stack......it has to be smoother ;).

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on December 06, 2013, 05:48:58 PM
What metal washer are you using Lee?
Thanks
Ron

I've been reforming stock keyed Penn metal washers on my belt sander but once I get a final design I'll be selling the inserts as a kit with metal washers and a CF washer cutting guide.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Great, just don't forget about my list ;).

By the way, here is what I use to cut my carbon fiber washers...for those that are interested.
This disc cutter makes the job easier, I got it on eBay for $25.

sometimes you won't be able to find the exact diameter, as you can see here, the cutter is 1/16" larger

not a problem though, I mount mine on a dremel and let them spin for a minute or so on a sharpening stone

and a perfect fit

Ok, here is what's coming for our next upgrades

My buddy came through again, thanks Alan C., they look awesome.
Those are heat treated stainless steel yokes, you couldn't bend them if you try ;).
Those will need to wait until I get some additional parts.
Sal

BMITCH

So Sal, the SS yokes are for the 113H? If so is Alan C watching?? I NEED some of these also. Man this is starting to get confusing on what updates are available for which reels. Someone got a spread sheet on updates :D it's all good ;D

Keta

Nice, my yokes bent far too easy and it was not worth the $ for me to buy the harder material.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Quote from: BMITCH on December 06, 2013, 08:33:13 PM
So Sal, the SS yokes are for the 113H? If so is Alan C watching?? I NEED some of these also. Man this is starting to get confusing on what updates are available for which reels. Someone got a spread sheet on updates :D it's all good ;D
Don't even try Bob. I did for a little while and I am exhausted already. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

It won't be confusing forever, I'm hoping all our Penn will have these upgrades.

Bob, read the last line, "those will need to wait", just a little teaser. ;D
They are for the Jigmasters and 112H's, by the way.

BMITCH

Ok,ok. Sal. You know how impatient I am. After having missed out on the hex 113H gears I'm a little gun shy now. Anyway Alan C said mid Dec. for the 500/112H goodies. How did you center up the ID. Hole to the OD cut out??

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on December 06, 2013, 08:34:32 PM
Nice, my yokes bent far too easy and it was not worth the $ for me to buy the harder material.

The yokes might have bent Lee, but you would be hard pressed to bend those handle arms you have now. Those are really nice!

Alto Mare

I did not cut the ID yet that was just a hole that I drilled so I could sand them down. I centered it by eye, using some bits that Dwight (Newell Nut) sent me a while back, I've never used anything like that before, they work like magic ;D.
For the ID I use an eared metal washer as a guide and cut one at a time, it doesn't take very long.