How Big Do Trout and Salmon Grow in the US

Started by AndrewC, December 08, 2013, 08:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewC

The worlds a better place when its upside down

philaroman

Utah...  inbreeding...  :o  I mean the trout & the flies, of course  (not much Salmon)

need big trout to feed seven wives

gstours

HI Mr. Grumpy;  I thought a trout was just a salmon waiting to grow up......besides i do have proof its in their diet.....fish are like people, wanto get big and strong eat what the big guys eat.......heres the proof::::: open this,

Maybe I,m Right, or not just for kicks!!!!!gstours.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Trout have been recorded up to 40lbs or so, that's kinda rare. Salmon get over 100lbs with the kings I think
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on December 08, 2013, 07:06:41 PM
Salmon get over 100lbs with the kings I think

Very rare, 50-60 pound fish are caught every year but they are uncommon.  35-45 pounds is large average.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on December 08, 2013, 07:06:41 PM
Trout have been recorded up to 40lbs or so...

bigger than that: vaguely recall something about mutant, hatchery-engineered Rainbows escaping into the wild & reaching ridiculous size -- like 70# ballpark...  old Cabela's catalogs had a picture of one of those monstrosities that would put most Kings to shame

Quote from: gstours on December 08, 2013, 06:15:02 PM
HI Mr. Grumpy;  I thought a trout was just a salmon waiting to grow up......

aside from mutant Yankee Rainbows, the biggest Salmonid (>100 kg), worldwide, is Taimen & I believe it's closer to a trout, than a salmon

TomT

About 10 to 15 years ago, I remember reading about (and it included a picture) of a record king salmon caught in the Kenai River in Alaska that weighed in at about 95 pounds.  Personal best on my boat in northern Ca was 43 #'s. 
TomT

Newell Nut

The one in my picture is a 52 pounder from the Kenai and my wife got a 53 the next day.

VW

IGFA record Lake Trout is 72 pounds (33 kg), caught in Great Bear Lake in 1995.  Larger ones have been caught.

Keta

Our mackinaw (lake trout) don't get that big.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Great photos everyone, love to see your mugshots and all....thanks for sharing

CaptKev

Lee, I've never caught a Mack. How do they eat? Good? Bad? Smoke 'em? Just curious.

Keta

Quote from: CaptKev on December 11, 2013, 03:16:12 PM
Lee, I've never caught a Mack. How do they eat? Good? Bad? Smoke 'em? Just curious.

They are extremely oily, my wife loves them.  The taste is good but I prefer firmer fish.  I cook them in our Trager but baked would work too.  They smoke up well but are soft due to the high fat content.

Mark Twain

CaptKev

Thanks, may be fishing Chelan in the near future. I hear the Macks get huge there.

Keta

My daughter lives about 100 miles north of there and the maks get large there too.

Mark Twain