114 Black

Started by Shark Hunter, December 08, 2013, 05:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Picked me up a 6/0. I ordered a drag kit for one of these by Mistake. Sounds like a good enough reason to me! ;) I'm a sucker for a red handle.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 08, 2013, 05:53:54 PM
Picked me up a 6/0. I ordered a drag kit for one of these by Mistake.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this, I have several reels I got this way.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I have been looking for one for quite some time. Usually is this shape, they are asking about a hundred.
I got this one for $54 shipped! Good things come to those who wait! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

My 114 was a strange acquire.  My wife called from an estate sale and asked me if I was looking for a Penn 144 (she honestly thinks there is something like too many reels) and I  said there was no such reel.  She looked again (her eyes are worse than mine) and said I was wrong and what did I think it was worth.  I said offer them $20 for it and they took it....she brought home a little used 114 with the marlin on the side plate.

I picked up a 113 in very good shape when a customer dropped some reels of to service and he said I could have it for parts.  Many people do not value these old reels.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Mark Twain

George4741

I think the black 113 and 114 are great reels!  Being narrow minded, I just think the originals are too wide.  If you want to see what can be done with a black 114, check out John's narrowed version.  Neat stuff!
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6674.0
viurem lliures o morirem

floating doc

I really like this narrow 114 in the link.
Central Florida

Newell Nut

Come over one day and you can put your hands on a Narrow 114 Beast of a reel. Handles really nice.

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on December 10, 2013, 03:55:56 PM
I think the black 113 and 114 are great reels!  Being narrow minded, I just think the originals are too wide.  If you want to see what can be done with a black 114, check out John's narrowed version.  Neat stuff!
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6674.0
We could do the same to the 113 and many others that have the narrowed kit available.
This was one of the reason I was looking for a lathe.
Usually, the left side of the spool is the same, except for the thickness. The shaft on the right is longer, but can be modified easily, good tools are needed though, I can't do with my dremel;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 13, 2013, 03:58:34 PM
Come over one day and you can put your hands on a Narrow 114 Beast of a reel. Handles really nice.

Sounds good! I haven't thought about the 114 much, but I really am impressed with these.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I wasn't going to take any pictures while cleaning this reel up and putting in a 5 stack, but it is just too pristine not too.
Shiny,Shiny ;D

Other than a lot of oil inside, this reel is was like new. Steel gears too.

Done.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Sweet. I hope to have a 7 stack for that reel in the future.  I mis-measured the drag washers and cut the OD 1 mm too large.  I'm going to see if I can mount a whole mess of washers on and arbor and mount the arbor on a lathe and cut them down.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Don't mess with those, as I mentioned earlier they are perfect for Lee's inserts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 06, 2014, 10:21:56 PM
Don't mess with those, as I mentioned earlier they are perfect for Lee's inserts.
How much thinner are the washers with the inserts?  The washers seem rather thin (OD to ID) to fit an insert.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D