Got glue?

Started by Phinaddict, April 19, 2010, 03:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phinaddict

Hi Alan,

I was putting a 12LT back together and started thinking....(uh oh)...

Just curious, but do you have any idea as to the type of adhesive that is used to glue the drag washers to
to spools? Specifically,  smaller Avets and Saltist lever drag reels, and, Penn glues the ht-100/DuraDrag washers to  the aluminum drag plates on Internationals, right?

I ask this because most adhesives are affected thermally and I'm pretty sure that a fresh tuna pulling 30# of drag creates a significant amount of friction heat on the drag washer. Whatever it is, it must be some pretty good stuff? I like good stuff.

So, any idea?
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

wallacewt

Quote from: Phinaddict on April 19, 2010, 03:49:46 AM
Hi Alan,

I was putting a 12LT back together and started thinking....(uh oh)...

Just curious, but do you have any idea as to the type of adhesive that is used to glue the drag washers to
to spools? Specifically,  smaller Avets and Saltist lever drag reels, and, Penn glues the ht-100/DuraDrag washers to  the aluminum drag plates on Internationals, right?

I ask this because most adhesives are affected thermally and I'm pretty sure that a fresh tuna pulling 30# of drag creates a significant amount of friction heat on the drag washer. Whatever it is, it must be some pretty good stuff? I like good stuff.

So, any idea? 
this may help.just got an email from abu and the glue they use is called 555.swedish i think.they use it to glue the cork washers to their spools.the solvent they recommend is aceton. gd luck.

Dan

Alan used loctite 330 for the FINNOR rebuild he did, it's probably posted on this board as well but I only had this link handy: http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fin-nor/52403-finnor-rebuild.html

Phinaddict

Thanks guys. I am looking online and finding all kinds of stuff. Nothing urgent, I was just curious
about how they stuck the washers on there.....
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Wolli

from the technical data sheet i learned that Loctite 330 starts melting at +100 degress celsius.

hope the stuff will withstand a long long run?!

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)