Need opinions on which reel to buy or build...YTS

Started by sundaytrucka, December 08, 2013, 09:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on December 10, 2013, 11:03:10 PM
Alan (Tani) once did a tutorial on a fully done Accurate Senator, he felt the factory side plates were more than adequate and I agree with him. If a Tank and a PG YTS are built to the same standard you basically have the same reel.
Yes, but the earlier Pro Gear models had corrosion issues, I guess you could help them, but you need to take them apart more often than most. 
Keep in mind, we didn't do maintenance then as we do today, also, I don't believe this is the same with the later models.

On another note, it's not a good idea to recommend a reel that doesn't exist anymore, how would you replace parts if you can't find them?
This is not the case with the Senators, you will always find parts for a Tank and just in case you can't we'll make you one ;).
Good luck with your decision, either way you go, I'm sure there are a few here that could help you find what you need.....if needed.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

day0ne

Quote from: sundaytrucka on December 08, 2013, 09:36:03 PM
I am looking into a yellowtail special style reel. I plan on using the YTS special for yo-yo jigging and live bait at the local islands here in So-Cal and the occasional LR trip.

I have a 113H, I just sold the HLW frame that came with it, so I am thinking about purchasing a Tiburon narrow frame and spool conversion. The reel came with 4:1 SS gears, so I would only need to purchase the frame/spool and the SS gear sleeve.

Also looking at the Pro Gear Yellowtail Special, swapping out the gears for the SS ones I have.

Third and final option is a Penn Baja Special. Might be overkill for a yo-yo rig, I see the Baja special as more for throwing LR jigs, mainly for wahoo, and then as a yo-yo/live bait rig. I really like this reel, but feel it may be under utilized as a yo-yo reel.

I feel all the reels are comparable, in their own right, and that is why I am asking. Feel free to drop your opinion on the matter.

Thanks, Scott.

Why do you think the Baja Special is over kill? It is the same size as the other two reels you are discussing, already has the double dogs, versa drags and stainless gears, etc. It is a comparable reel without all the extra work. I like my Baja's, but then I like my 113H's with Accurate/Tib/Jvariance frames and plates.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

I didn't think the Baja has a stainless gear sleeve? In high drag uses, that is very important to me. I have rounded off brass sleeves at horrible times and would just as soon never have that happen again.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the input and discussion. Like I said, more leaning towards the 113H, really looking for the narrow frame, otherwise I am going the pro gear route and installing all the stainless internals I already have from a 113H.

Quote from: day0ne on December 11, 2013, 07:44:29 AM
Why do you think the Baja Special is over kill? It is the same size as the other two reels you are discussing, already has the double dogs, versa drags and stainless gears, etc. It is a comparable reel without all the extra work. I like my Baja's, but then I like my 113H's with Accurate/Tib/Jvariance frames and plates.

Not necessarily overkill, it is being considered for purchase, but more that I may not utilize the freespool abilities; being that I see the Baja more for LR surface/wahoo iron and yo-yo. Also, for the price, if I get a used pro gear or planned 113H upgrades at a good price, it may set the Baja special at $250 retail to the curb. I really want one, not putting it down in any way...future purchase no doubt; think of it as too good of a reel for my current needs.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 11, 2013, 12:42:28 AM
On another note, it's not a good idea to recommend a reel that doesn't exist anymore, how would you replace parts if you can't find them?
This is not the case with the Senators, you will always find parts for a Tank and just in case you can't we'll make you one ;).
Good luck with your decision, either way you go, I'm sure there are a few here that could help you find what you need.....if needed.
Sal
Sal, I agree with you if normal wear items were not readily available.  Since the PG YTS's internals are essentially Penn 113H (bridge, yoke, eccentric, eccentric lever, bearings, handle arm, and gears), the other 3 remaining items are the frame, sideplate, and spool, there is a very low probability that these items will become an issue.  Additionally, this reel is braid ready with tight tolerances.  I would need to buy Accuplates and Accuframe to achieve braid ready tolerances from the 113H.  In both cases, you would have a purdy reel that is ready to tackle a lot of variety of fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Sorry if this is obvious, is a Baja Special braid ready?

Alto Mare

Yes, the Baja is braid ready.
Dominick (Pescachaser) is the proud owner of my original 113H Tank, he used that reel loaded with braid and it performed flawlessly.
On most of my older penn reels that have the aluminum spools, the gap from the spool lip to the inner ring is very tight.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Thanks for keeping the info coming. It is going to be the 113H or the pro gear, time and a deal will tell.

Could anybody answer if the PG YTS has a model #, is it Pro Gear YTS ###, or simply Pro Gear YTS?

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

floating doc

I thought about building a tank, but I don't have a 113H to start with. When I added all the costs, plus compared the cost of a YTS, it made more sense to watch for a deal on a Baja Special. Got mine for $190, NIB.

I already had the 112H for my mini-tank.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

The older models are 454. I would personally only buy ones that say yellow tail special.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 12, 2013, 04:47:20 AM
The older models are 454. I would personally only buy ones that say yellow tail special.

x2 less "bugs"...  :D;D

broschro

My 113 h reels are loaded with  100#braid and twenty to thirty feet of 100# mono.i fish in water from 60 ft to 150 ft and I fish 2 to 3 times a month, I have never had a problem with the braid just saying. Going on two yrs the only thing I have done was taking out the ht 100 under the gear do to shredding.

SoCalAngler

Guys when all is said and done this guy is looking for a reel to fish 40lb, 50lb max for the the type of applications he talked about. For me fishing the areas he mentioned I fish 30lb max for my surface , yoyo iron and bait. Now when he starts doing trips 4 days or longer out of SD, or traveling down into Baja to Mag Bay, Loreto and La Paz thats when I use 40lb for these applications. Will I fish 40lb on trips under 4 days long, yes but it is very seldom, maybe one trip out of twentyfive will 40lb be needed, maybe even less.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain