112H star

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, December 09, 2013, 01:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

anybody know where i can get a hold of a bigger star so it will be easier for me turn that !@#$%^ thing?  ;D personally i think it's too small for the 5+1 conversion.

BMITCH

I think Keta was working on that in SS. He may have run into trouble due to the thread size. Try him?
luck is the residue of design.

Irish Jigger

Replace both the sleeve and star with the fine threaded ones (98-505 and 10-505) and you will find a big improvement.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on December 09, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
I think Keta was working on that in SS. He may have run into trouble due to the thread size.
Yup
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I believe Sal knows the part number of a larger star for a 112H since the 112H has course threads.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I use the 66 star, which is much bigger and what I have around. I believe the 49 is the largest star for this gear sleeve.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Quote from: noyb72 on December 09, 2013, 07:21:40 PM
I use the 66 star, which is much bigger and what I have around. I believe the 49 is the largest star for this gear sleeve.
Ron

x2. Ron do you know the dimensions of the 49? And is it a coarse or fine thread?

Ron Jones

I don't know the dimensions other than big. The 66 is more than big enough and the 49 is bigger. The 112H, 66 and 49 all use the coarse Jigmaster sleeve.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Irish Jigger

The 66, 49 and 505  stars are the same size except for thickness which is approx 3mm for the 66 and 49(coarse threads) and 2.5mm  for the 505 (fine thread).
I fitted the fine thread stars and sleeves to my 112h and Albacore Specials (99/500) and never looked back as I find they allow for a more controlled drag setting.

Alto Mare

I want to add that the 10-49 has the cut out at the bottom

The 10-66 doesn't

Not disagreeing with you Tom, I get what you're saying about gaining more travel with the star, but personally I'm more comfortable using the coarse threads sleeve/star on some larger reels.
the fine threads would work nicely on Squidders and smaller, but the 5-66 gear generates some good numbers with Lee's inserts or Bryan's 7+1 kits.

Mel, if you decide to go with the 10-66, it will be a little stiff when you first install it, but after one pass it will work itself in nicely.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Have to agree with you Sal. The 10-66 is half a mm thicker than the 10-505 and would stand up better on your "Tanks" where so much drag can now be generated by your modified drag stacks.
The reels I have are fit for purpose and can handle anything I am likely to catch over here.
Horses for courses ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i'll go with the 10-505 since i have the fine threaded SS sleeve. thanks fellow "HEADS"!  :) ;D