AVET SX glued drag washer

Started by ssiniscalchi, April 19, 2010, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssiniscalchi

Hey Alan, I just bought a brand new AVET SX and i see that the drag washer is glued. I liked the old way of using a retainer clip but it looks like the avet dudes decided to glue it :(.
Since i know that unless the glue is perfectly evenly applied it could be corroded i was wondering how to remove it and grease it over and under without damaging the drag disk. Is it possible? If not, can i just grease it from the exposed side?
I was also thinking if, in case i could remove the disk for greasing, how will i secure it back to the spool...

Regards from Argentina,
Sebastian

alantani

hi, sebastian.  there was a small uproar when the glued washer was introduced, but it should be fine.  when you grease it, just make sure you get all the edges.  these washers will fail only it water gets underneath and the aluminum starts to bubble. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ssiniscalchi

Thanks for the fast reply!
Do you know if the ABU Silicote Grease (they say that it's formulated based on PTFE and it's supposed to be synthetic) is good for the drag washers?
Here in my country is virtually impossible to find Cal's Grease or the Shimano star drag grease.

alantani

sebastian, you can get cal's grease from smoothdrag.com.  dawn is the nice lady that owns smoothdrag and she will ship internationally.  if there is a problem, even i can send you some.  it's not very expensive.  let me know if i can help.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!