501 Stuck sleeve

Started by broschro, December 10, 2013, 05:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

My son was fishing my 501 this weekend and it looked up  :( I pulled it apart and the sleeve is stuck on the spindle. What caused this?

Bryan Young

my guess would be rust, salt, and maybe a lodged retention pin?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Is the sleeve brass or stainless steel?

broschro

it is a brass sleeve. the retaining pin is out no rust is evident may look bent a tad I still can't get this leave off with pliers and I don't have my voice Vice right now.it was working fine all morning then it is locked up after Ayden got two red snapper at one time.

alantani

try head first.  if it is badly stuck, you may loosen the post where it connects to the bridge plate. then the post will have to be peen back so that it is tight again. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Limit Ayden to one hook ;D
I have seen  many brass sleeves seize up, but that was mainly  due to lack of lubrication. The spindles rusted and sheared off at the retaining pin groove. Try gas heating the brass sleeve which should expand enough to get it off the steel spindle. Good Luck.

broschro

thank you guys. Irish Jigger but it is so fun seeing his face when he brings up two fish at once priceless.we had a very good day Saturday 2O nice seabass for the box.red snapper remains closed do to overfishing they say some of the reefs are totally covered in the thing but red snapper it's ridiculous.