what`s your oldest working Shimano reel?

Started by basto, December 12, 2013, 02:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

What is your oldest working Shimano reel? Got a photo? Mine is my Triton Mark 1.(1981)
Show us some pics...conventional or spinners.

cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

gstours

Hello Mr Basto and thanks for the question.....   The reel pictured is in very good condition,,   as I have one very much the same model except its in a wide version,  I never they offered a regular  (narrow) model......they are very sturdy looking and well made, Ive had it since the mid 80,s and got it used then....... that my oldest , and I got a tld20 in late 80,s still got both,  good products.......gst.

basto

Hi gstours

Yes, I have a wide model also. It is the Mark 2.  I was given my Mark 1 by a man in USA after writing a piece about how much better they are than the Calcutta that followed them. That was about 3 years ago and I have recently been able to buy a Mark 2.Thanks for your reply.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I still have a few little graphite spinners from that time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

Yes I used to have an early model Stradic that had a graphite body.

BMITCH

Does a TLD25 from 87 count. Believe it or not it was a wedding present. Needless to say my wife doesn't get much use out of it!
luck is the residue of design.

basto

Quote from: BMITCH on December 13, 2013, 12:30:38 AM
Does a TLD25 from 87 count. Believe it or not it was a wedding present. Needless to say my wife doesn't get much use out of it!
Funny that! My wife uses 2 TLD Star drag reels and loves them. She won`t use a spinner now.

philaroman

original Baitrunner 450 -- works fine but needs a handle

basto

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

philaroman

Quote from: basto on December 13, 2013, 05:55:16 AM
Quote from: philaroman on December 13, 2013, 04:52:18 AM
original Baitrunner 450 -- works fine but needs a handle
Very tough reels.

yeah, the body/gearbox on those reels is virtually indestructible, but some of the peripheral parts are a bit cheap/low-tech & in dire need of upgrade.  the original graphite spools w/ small-diameter drag wells, are my biggest complaint -- would anyone know if there are short/squat aluminum spools (pre-Aero Shimano, I guess) that fit Baitrunner 450 & 300...  I have a 300, as well, which is destined for major restoration/alteration: I'm hellbent on getting rid of the stupid FastCast trigger & converting to multi-point A/R...  some day  ::)

basto

Quote from: day0ne on December 13, 2013, 06:53:45 AM
TLD 5's, 10's and 15's from the 80's
I had a 15 once, but never seen a 5 or 10. Must be rare.

MFB

Circa 1989 speedmaster mark 4
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton