14/0 with major issues

Started by Chris Gatorfan, December 14, 2013, 03:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Ok i have been in talks with a friend of mine about buying his 14/0 Senator.  He doesn't want to let it go though until he can get it fixed. Errrrrrr. I finally swung by his place to check it out today and i most say it is bad.
It is completely taken apart but the left and right side bearing are completely siezed to the spool. He has been soaking the bearings for over a month to no avail. We are both dumbfounded as to why they still will not come loose.
What should we do to try and remedy this. He has not tried vinager, so i told him to try that. Beyond that i am at a loss.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Chris,
If it were me, I would cut the bearings off with a dremel careful not to damage the spool. They are going to need to be replaced anyway. maybe try a little heat first. If you trash the spool, a aluminum one from Scott's is $250. The Chrome over bronze are unobtanium unless you buy a parts reel.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I have placed the bearing in a vice grip or large pipe pliers to break the outer race of the bearing.  Then I heat the inner race with a propane torch until it's good and hot, then spray wd40 type of lubricant.  I do this several time.  This will allow the lubricant to get between the bearing race and the spool shaft.  Then I warm up the inner race again and clamp a vice grip to the inner race and turn on the spool shaft and gradually spin it out.

Oh, and take off the line if you are going to do this as it will damage the line and may get stuck to the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I basically do the same thing as Brian.  Remove line.  Try WD-40, break free, penetrating oil or a kroll acetone or alcohol mix in combination with a vice grip.  A Dremel w/ cutting reel or vice grip can remove the outter race, then heat the inner race with a torch.  Try not to burn yourself, or damage the spool shaft w/ Dremel or other tools.  Once you get the bearing(s) removed, you may need to polish up the spool shaft a bit.  I use WD-40 and fine or superfine steel wool.  If there is visable corrosion I use a 15min application of Loctite chrome/aluminum jelly cleaner (basically ospho/phosphoric acid to eat all micro corrosion away, and polish it til smooth.  The process sounds more involved then it actually is.  You may want to make sure the spool shaft(s) and the spool itself are still true and not bent/warped before spending too much time or it would likely need replacing. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Try acetone and ATF, 50/50.  Keep it away from plastic.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

floating doc

Central Florida

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Chris Gatorfan

Thanks for the replies Guy. I have passed this on to him. Hopefully he can get it taken care of so i can go ahead and get it from him, for like i said he wants to get it operational before he lets it go. Main issue with him is he doesn't like working on reels. Push come to shove i my just have to give him the $350 and take this project on myself. I will keep you all posted.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Not to start any trouble Chris, but I just bought one for $342 shipped from Hawaii with new drags, bearings and 130 lb mono ready to roll.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-Senator-14-0-130-Lb-Class-Big-Game-Fishing-Trolling-Reel-Very-Nice-/261352607872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9d45080
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You can't compare prices unless you look under the hood ;). Some have ss sleeve, ss power handle and double dogs. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Chris Gatorfan

The one i am looking at is 100% stock, late 70's early 80's model. Parts wise it is still in great shape, no shearing of gears, cracks, or broken pieces. The spool just needs a good cleaning as it has a light corrosion covering it (looks greenish-chrome, instead of straight green. But those darn bearings. )
Now granted i wish i could get him to come down on the price considering the work that needs to be done to it including Havering to spool it. But with as few 14/0' that are on the market right now i see it as a small price to pay. Unless of course something happens to the shaft as he trust to finish getting the bearing off.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Very easy solution....he hasnt done the HIH method. HIT IT HARDER! All joking aside, try pb blaster or the mixture Lee recomended,
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

In this particular situation, I would pop the outer racer on the bearing with vise-grip and grab the inner racer and see if there is movement. If it wouldn't budge, I would gently cut a groove, being careful not go  not all the way by applying very little pressure and pop that one as well.
Bearings a cheap, around $17. A new aluminum spool is $250.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.