EX 4/0 low gear issue

Started by Keta, December 14, 2013, 04:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I took apart a EXW4/0 yesterday that was tight, rough and making a loud clicking sound in low gear, high gear was fine.  This was a reel that had a history of good maintenance and other than this problem it was in excellent shape.

When I inspected the gear parts I could not see or feel anything that would cause this but when I put the high speed gear on the shaft it clicked and was tight.  When I used a magnifying glass I found a very small burr in the slot in the drive shaft(#75) that the shift fork (#71) goes into that was catching on the edges of the slots in the high speed gear.  I honed the burr off and the problem was cured.

Seeing as I had the reel apart I replaced the weaker EX4/0 brake pin springs (#27) with springs for the EX30 and put a shim washer between right brake (#25) and the spool bearing (#28) to reduce the clearance between the brake disk (#22) and the right brake to increase the maximum drag.

Too bad Avet discontinued this reel, the EX4/0 was my first Avet and is still one of my most liked.  Mine have been modified for many years thanks to Alan.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

and put a shim between right brake (#25) and the spool bearing (#28) to reduce the clearance between the brake disk (#22)

Lee, where did you get the shim from (I can use one on my EX)?  BTW, good idea to use the stronger EX30 brake springs.

Leo

Keta

Quote from: LTM on December 14, 2013, 05:43:52 PM
and put a shim between right brake (#25) and the spool bearing (#28) to reduce the clearance between the brake disk (#22)

Lee, where did you get the shim from (I can use one on my EX)?  BTW, good idea to use the stronger EX30 brake springs.

Leo

The shim washer is an Avet EXW502-029. I'll put 2 in with your handle arm.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Meanwhile

Thanks Lee, darned if I could figure that out.  I remember my first YT jack at 38 pounds on that reel.  They kept rocking us and I went to 80 flouro to get one stopped.  Right about then you said, "The rail is your friend."  Good days.

I have a EX 4/0 also, do you suggest the same spring change and shims? 

Randy

Keta

Quote from: No Bail on December 15, 2013, 12:11:57 AM

I have a EX 4/0 also, do you suggest the same spring change and shims? 

Randy

Yes, I'll put the parts needed in an envelope and mail them up.

Mark Twain

Meanwhile

Just to make it clear, Lee is referring to the EX30 diagram for part numbers.  It threw me a bit when I looked at the EXW40/2 diagram.  The parts numbers are different on the two diagrams.