"DOUBLE DOG" Daiwa SEALINE Reels . . .

Started by ez2cdave, December 14, 2013, 09:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Alan & other "guru's",

Can the "Double Dog" mod ( Penn Senators ) be done to Daiwa SEALINE Reels (30H, 50H, 300H, 350H, 400H, 450H, 600H, 900H, 910H) ?

Thanks !

Dave

broschro

ez2cdave

Quote from: broschro on December 15, 2013, 12:20:36 AM
I don't see why not. I thought some were ???

The reason I'm asking is that the side-plates on SEALINE "H" reels are METAL, unlike the PLASTIC ones on the PENN's.

I have not seen any "Double Dog" converted SEALINE "H" reels . . . yet.

Dominick

Quote from: ez2cdave on December 15, 2013, 04:52:40 AM
Quote from: broschro on December 15, 2013, 12:20:36 AM
I don't see why not. I thought some were ???

The reason I'm asking is that the side-plates on SEALINE "H" reels are METAL, unlike the PLASTIC ones on the PENN's.

I have not seen any "Double Dog" converted SEALINE "H" reels . . . yet.
Dave:  you be the pioneer and post pictures of the progress.  If you need help, we are here.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

There is a double dogged 600H for sale on this site.
Central Florida

day0ne

They can be double dogged but it is different from double dogging a Penn, since the whole bridge, gear, dog setup on a Sealine is somewhat different. The bridge, gears, etc, come out of the  side plate in one piece and the dogs are sprung off the bridge, not the side plate. See here, 7th picture:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0

or here, pictures 17 and 28

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=225.0
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

gstours

Hi Dave here are some diawa dog pictures. the alum plate is milled with a 4 fluted end mill. the 2nd dog was modified to use the coil spring,

these should give you an idea, but write me, love to help, gst.

MFB

Nice work, have fitted Alan's drag upgrade to my 900H & fairly confident it will stop most things with fins.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

LTM

Gary/gstours,

Where are all the pictures of your Daiwa dog mods, I thought I saw quite a few on the forum months ago? Didnt you get approx 50# static drag from your 600h? Dont be modest man; show the world!!

Leo

ez2cdave

Quote from: day0ne on December 15, 2013, 05:32:04 AM
They can be double dogged but it is different from double dogging a Penn, since the whole bridge, gear, dog setup on a Sealine is somewhat different. The bridge, gears, etc, come out of the  side plate in one piece and the dogs are sprung off the bridge, not the side plate. See here, 7th picture:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0

or here, pictures 17 and 28

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=225.0

Thanks for your reply and helpful info. I had already seen the thread on the 900H and have used it in the past to work on my reels.  An excellent tutorial !

ez2cdave

Quote from: gstours on December 15, 2013, 05:40:55 AM
Hi Dave here are some diawa dog pictures. the alum plate is milled with a 4 fluted end mill. the 2nd dog was modified to use the coil spring,

. . . these should give you an idea, but write me, love to help, gst.

I like that approach to adding the 2nd dog . . . Why was the Main Gear being milled ?

doradoben

gstours, I'm not very familiar with machine shop procedures, are you using a drill press to mill the drag washer reliefs in the main gear ? 

Robert Janssen

are you using a drill press to mill the drag washer reliefs in the main gear ? 

Yes, it looks like it, using a plunge action in small increments / depth of cut so as to not upset the inherent non-rigidity of the drill press and chuck. That'll work, if done very carefully. Indexing looks like it is done with a careful eyeball measurement.

Ron Jones

I like the repeatability of the drywall screw located jig! Whatever gets it done, he's done amazing things to his reels.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

madday

last night i thought the same dual dog for my daiwa 600H,
is there any link to the modification? which partially already posted above....  ???

big thanks.... ;)