"GRAMPA DAVE's" Chili Recipe

Started by ez2cdave, December 14, 2013, 10:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Grampa Dave's chilli recipe . . .

Well, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm "Grampa Dave" . . . Here, at my grand-children's request, is my chilli recipe !

Please note that this recipe provides a "safe starting point" as to heat and intensity . . . Add more seasoning, as desired !

GRAMPA Dave's Chili

( Makes 6-9 servings +/- , depending on Bowl size and portion preferences )

INGREDIENTS :

1 lb. - 80% Ground Chuck
    2 Cans - Great Value "Chili-Ready" Tomatoes ( Wal-Mart brand name )
    1 Can - Dark Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can - Light Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can - Tomato Sauce
    1 Large - Green Pepper ( Diced )
    1 Medium Vidalia Onion ( Diced )
    1 Tablespoon - Chili Powder ( "Safe" Starting Point )
    4 - Beef Bouillon Cubes
    4 oz. - Sliced Mushrooms ( Optional )
    Garlic ( As Desired )
    Black Pepper ( As Desired )
    Seasoned Salt ( As Desired )
    Cayenne Pepper ( As Desired - Use Sparingly )

PREPARATION & COOKING :

(1) Combine ALL Ingredients, EXCEPT the GROUND CHUCK and the ONIONS in a large pot and heat over Medium-High heat, stirring occasionally.

(2) Brown Ground Chuck and DRAIN THOROUGHLY ( Add a sprinkling of additional Seasonings as listed above, if desired, to add flavor during cooking ). Add to Ingredients prepared in Step 1.

(3) Place Diced Onions in a large skillet and saute them, until brown ( They are cooked separately to prevent an "overpowering" Onion flavor in the Chili ) Additional seasoning may be used, if desired . . . DRAIN THOROUGHLY and add to Pot.

(4) Add the GROUND CHUCK and ONIONS to the pot and stir, until thoroughly mixed in. Add water, as needed ( it will simmer out during cooking ).

(5) Cook Chili over MEDIUM-HIGH heat, until it comes to a BUBBLING Boil, stirring occasionally . . . REDUCE Heat to MEDIUM-LOW and allow to cook for at least TWO HOURS, stirring occasionally . . . DO NOT ALLOW Chili to RE-BOIL and LOWER HEAT, as needed.

(6) "TASTE-TEST" During Cooking and Adjust Seasonings, as desired . . . SERVE & ENJOY ! ! !

OPTIONAL : We like to serve it with Grated Cheese (we like Cheddar) on top, along with a large "Dollop" of Sour Cream .

I really hope that everyone enjoys this recipe . . . Whenever they come over to spend the night, all three of my grand-kids (11, 14, 15) say, "Grampa, can we make your chili tonight?" . . . Who could say no to that ? - LOL !

ChileRelleno

Mushrooms?
Kidney beans?
Bullion cubes?   
Black pepper?

Heretic!   >:(

Just kidding, good chili takes on many forms to meet many tastes.
That sounds like a good recipe for nachos or hot dogs.

Also, welcome to alantani.com!
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."