Older Avet LX...Worth Buying?

Started by sundaytrucka, December 15, 2013, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I found an older model avet LX and wanted to know if it would be worth buying. I heard they can have anti-reverse issues and bad bearings; so my concern is, can the anti-reverse mechanism be upgraded or would I be stuck with whatever comes in the reel?

It is the reel with a ledge on the sideplate, not the rounded sideplate, and has the shark emblem on it.

Thanks for any input.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Keta

The only AR issues I've seen were due to crud buildup from forcing dirt and salt into the reels with a hose when rinsing the reels.  The bearing issue is not that big of a deal if you,
#1 Set the drag with the reel in freespool
#2 Don't drop the reel with a load on the drag
#3 Don't fish the reel over it's designed drag range
#4 Replace the pinion bearing EVERY TIME you service the reel.

I keep a few pinion bearings in my travel kit.

I have several early Avets (pre glued on CF washer) and like them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sundaytrucka

Ok, Cool. Thanks for the info Lee.

The person selling it says it is new, unused. I am hoping to get it for no more than $80, leaves me room to fix/upgrade any issues and still keep it in the good deal category.

LTM

AJ

I have an older LX that is my "go to" 30# marlin reel.  It cast a mackerel a mile with great free spool and smooth drag, important when a 150# Marlin decides to go to Cabo.  Io caught 80# YFT at Guadalupe Island with this same reel.
Robb

sundaytrucka

Thanks for the link Leo.

I plan to use the reel on my 25# setup, may push it to 30# on another rod, but that would be max. I should know by this weekend whether it is mine or not. I have never been partial to Avet, but like the idea of having an old model.

LTM

Your welcome Sundaytrucka. I use my LX6/3 for 40# line with out any problems. I just wont push it past that.

Leo

sundaytrucka

I passed on the LX. We agreed on $80 but when I confirmed on closing the deal and coming to pick it up he changed it to $85. I had to pass, besides my ceiling being $80, the principle of somebody raising the price after a deal came to an accord...equals no deal from me.  

Thanks for the help anyway guys.