hot rodding penn 3/0

Started by TheReelGuy850, December 16, 2013, 01:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelGuy850

Got a decent little penn 3/0 laying around in a Ziploc and want to get it put back together for the upcoming season here on the gulf coast. Its pretty much all there minus a few things but ive got the foundation. What aftermarket bearings are available for a longer and smoother cast? Does boca make any? Are stainless internals available?
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

floating doc

Which reel? The black sideplate 112 or the red sideplate 112H? Neither has bearings.

BTW, don't store it in a baggie. The condensation will corrode it.
Central Florida

TheReelGuy850

Its the red sideplate 112. Yea didnt think about the corrosion from condensation.out of the bag it comes.thanks
The Reel Guy
Panama City, Florida

BMITCH

That is a bullet proof, non bearing, bushing sportIng, fish killing machine there. Put it together and post pics. ;D
luck is the residue of design.

floating doc

ooh, be careful! I found one in a box when I last moved. I've been slowly building it, and by now have spent enough to buy a new avet! ::)
Central Florida

Ron Jones

We don't talk about how much money we put into 112H Senators. It's just not nice.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

TheReelGuy850

Well I guess its time for new bushings and some stainless gut! ;D going to double dog and mag it!
The Reel Guy
Panama City, Florida

floating doc

Central Florida

Bryan Young

Anything is possible...I just built one up for one of my customers. 

BNOS (Brand New Old Stock) USA 112H (Someone on Oahu) - $100 (price includes shipping and a little gift for a friend to pick it up and mail it)
Cobalt Tiburion Frame and Spool (Greg Chow) - $175
SS Gear Sleeve (AT) - $20
SS Gears (BP) - $50
SS Handle Arm (AT) - $8
3/0 Handle (AT) - $27
two SS Dawgs (Keta) - $6
SS leave Spring (ReelSpeed) - $2
5+1 Drag Kit (ReelSpeed) -  $27

Total for parts to make this reel was $415.  This reel was built out of his love for a reliable, no nonsense reel.

Yes, it adds up quickly, but it all doesn't have to be done all at once.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Bryan!
I said it isn't nice to do that! If my wife ever reads this. Well, I guess she does want another coach purse and a set of shoes.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Maybe $400+ but anything you buy will need the bling so where to start. Start with a proven reel with years of experience and parts availablity. Just build it piece by piece. That way it hardly hurts :D
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Don't get scared reelguy, you could get away with under $200. No need for Gregg chow's kits or a new 112H.
If you shop around, you might get one that doesn't need much more, here is one, just to give an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-112H-Senator-Newell-Tuna-Special-Reel-2-7-16-inches-wide-Made-in-USA-/141135802950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dc597246
I've seen 112H's go for as low as $40, add a couple of options available and you'll end up with a nice reel for a fraction of what Bryan spent ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

The owner of the Tuna Special on Ebay is proud of it. I got my kit for $60.00ish and I think the dilapidated reel was $25.00ish. You can do real good with these reels if you are patient.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

floating doc

I am not sure where my reel came from. I think my wife picked it up at a garage sale, but anyhow i already owned it. Sometimes free is the most expensive!

Bryan, the spring for the second dog is the hardest part for me. It looks like you used a leaf spring. Details?
Central Florida

TheReelGuy850

Well guys im very impressed at the wealth of knowledge here.Im definitely going to build it.Itll take some time but ill get there.Just new to building these so forgive me if i ask a ton of questions ;D

Color combination wise i want black and lime green..sound crazy?? if im gonna do it i might as well go all the way!
The Reel Guy
Panama City, Florida