Accurate Dawg Upgrade & a few other Questions

Started by LuckyFish, December 17, 2013, 04:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyFish

Hi All,

I have an Accurate BX2 600N - I fish this reel on a Phenix 760XH with 65# spectra & short 50# topshot for some of the larger Bluefin that were out of the San Diego landings this year. The setup performed flawlessly and the reel is now about 2 years old. I've always serviced the reel after each trip myself.
I have read much about the Anti-reverse bearings failing on some of the reels but am not sure if this applies to the BX2 series. Accurate is currently offering a 20% discount on any reel work performed so I called in to Accurate to find out more about the upgrade. Unfortunately I was left a little confused. A few questions I have:

1. The Dawg upgrade includes an optional A/R Bearing. I believe this is a new stainless vs chromed bearing used previously. Is this True? How much more durable would the stainless bearing be?
2. If so, does it make sense to have the A/R included or would it suffice to have the triple Dawgs? I would also use the reel for dropping jigs and potentially for some YoYo fishing.
3. I understand there is a Thicker Gear Shaft and new gears also included in the upgrade - I get the thicker shaft thing but does anyone know exactly what/why new gears are necessary?
4. I actually have 4 Accurate reels and have sleeved (Accusleeves) them all as per the info on this great site. This reel currently spins over 3 minutes easily in freespool. I'm worried the upgrade may remove the sleeve or cause some problems. Any thoughts?

Finally. I also recently bought a DPX2 600 triple Dawg but noticed that it has no A/R bearing. Accurate has offered to install, I believe, the said stainless A/R bearing mentioned above and also said that a new thicker shaft & new gears would also be included as part of the upgrade. I assumed the DPX series already had the new gears and shaft unlike the BX2. So I guess my final question really is:

5. Does the upgrade to the DPX2 600 to have an A/R bearing (stainless) installed also include new/better gears than currently in this reel? This reel also spins over 3 minutes in freespool with Accusleeves so am also concerned that any upgrade may negate this. Because the side plate already includes the Dawgs and doesnt need to be replaced, the cost of this upgrade seems reasonable if these newer/better gears are included. Just not sure I understood correctly.
This reel is spooled with 80# spectra and a short 60# topshot on a Terez railrod for stealthy bait presentation!

All replies, opinions and experiences appreciated.

Many Thanks!
Lucky

day0ne

I had my BX2-600 upgraded to a Dawg. I had them leave the A/R bearing in. I don't believe the gears and shaft are different. As far as I know, they used my gears, ARB etc. A DPX2 is an upgraded BX2. They were shipped without an A/R bearing unless you ordered it with one. The DX2 Dauntless with 2 dogs and an ARB does say something about a heavier shaft, so maybe that is where the confusion is. A Dawg has 3 dogs.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

LuckyFish

Hi DayOne,
Thanks for your response. On your BX2 upgrade you likely received a new side plate with a new A/R bearing installed and not your old bearing. It would be interesting to know if it is Stainless. If I proceed with the upgrades, I will ask for all the old parts to be returned.
if I proceed with the upgrade to my DPX reel, I want to be sure that they don't just install an A/R bearing but that the cost also covers some new gears - otherwise I think I may stick with just the Triple dawgs and not worry about an A/R. Right now I'm leaning towards Upgrading the BX2 with/without an A/R and leaving my DPX as is.
Thanks!
Lucky

alantani

personally, i would go with the double AR bearing in stainless.  it would take ALOT to make that fail. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Frank

You're not alone LuckyFish. It is pretty confusing. The thing that I can't get a handle on is if you put an AR bearing in the Dawg (a 3 dog reel) doesn't it become a better reel then the newer 2 dog Dauntless? What is the point of the Dauntless reel anyway?  ???
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

LuckyFish

I hear you Frank and just when I think I've narrowed down my options, trust Alan to introduce another variable!
I'd be tempted to try the double stainless install on my DPX2. Right now the only reason I would still send the DPX to Accurate is because I believe they also install a thicker shaft and better gears - but I'm still not sure I understood this correctly as I was under the impression the DPX already had the better gears and shaft!

Lucky

seaquin

So can I just get some parts and turn my bx2 400 to a dawg reel?
That would be sweet since the dawgs feel a lot smoother to me than the anti reverse bearings