5 cloves garlic-minced
2 spring onions sliced finely
1/2 tsp 5 spice
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 cup plain flour
oil for deep frying(liz uses canola)
method
mix,salt,pepper,5 spice.
mix corn and plain flour.(liz uses plastic bag)
add 1/2 of salt mixture.
add squid and shake it all about.
saute chilli,onions,garlic,put aside
heat oil,med;to high
add squid till golden,remove from pan onto paper towel
sprinkle over salt mixture,garlic,chilli,onions.

Bryan Young

Yum.  I'm ready to make some with Rock Cod...Alan, fishing soon?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Rock cod = good
Squid = bait!

Looks lovely, I'll just do it with fish.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Oh no, please take no offence to my personal taste. I hope you enjoy your bait. ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Wallace, love the squid! Also like that you have fries with all your pictures. Especially with the salad. Kinda offsets the bad(fries) with the good(salad). The ying and yang if you will. ;D thanks for posting
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on December 18, 2013, 08:29:41 AM
Oh no, please take no offence to my personal taste. I hope you enjoy your bait. ;D ;D
Ron
Some just don't know ::).....Wallace, that looks very appetizing ;), but I eat anything, well except Balut ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Newell Nut

I could eat balut if I were blind folded first. When my wife's sisters visited from Indonesia they asked me to cook a whole mangrove snapper for them and I did. The meal was great and when I was done my wife asked me to leave the table. The reason was that her sisters wanted to eat the eyes and felt embarrassed if I watched. Different cultures like different things.

I am a southern redneck and balut and fish eyes are not for me.

Dominick

Wallace: Kiss Elizabeth for me.  She comes up with winners.  She probably could make balut and haggis taste good.  By the way kick up the whole squid thing and call it salt and pepper calamari.  The Chinese restaurants in our area do not use squid on the menu it has been changed to the Italian calamari.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

we get very large calamari here
1caught 12lb,same day my fishing buddy got one 28 1/2lb.
we kept 4.used a jig with 2 very large treble hooks
i cooked it and it tasted like a truck tyre
im going to leave myself open to an uppercut here,
but any suggestions.(cooking)
do they eat them humbolt squid?

dom,elizabeth said,"what only one"

Newell Nut

The Fish Wife restaurant in Pacific Grove, CA does a great job with calamari steak. Ate it often when I lived there.

Shark Hunter

I had to look up Balut. Oh man! Really! :o
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on December 18, 2013, 09:45:39 PM
we get very large calamari here
1caught 12lb,same day my fishing buddy got one 28 1/2lb.
we kept 4.used a jig with 2 very large treble hooks
i cooked it and it tasted like a truck tyre
im going to leave myself open to an uppercut here,
but any suggestions.(cooking)
do they eat them humbolt squid?

dom,elizabeth said,"what only one"
Wallace:  Ask the Hawaiian guys if you can get them away from pounding their poi.  ;D They have the secret for getting the squid Tender.  Once it's tenderized it tastes like the poor man's abalone.  It can be quite good prepared correctly. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: wallacewt on December 18, 2013, 09:45:39 PMcooked it and it tasted like a truck tyre
That is why I really like fresh market squid (less than 8" in body length)

You could pound it but I think it makes a mess.  We often use a baking soda brine, I believe...or was it baking powder...I cannot remember...one of those two then rinse and resoak with salt water again.  Dry then cook.  I'll have to check.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D