Loud Stradic

Started by FishermanTom81, December 18, 2013, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishermanTom81

I have an old Stradic 2500FH that has been my workhorse reel since the day I bought it. It has always been well cared for.

Over the last two years it has gotten louder and louder when reeling with and without a load. I thought it would just have been a bearing issue so I replaced the bearings and the reel still seems loud. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? 

philaroman

could you be more specific than, "loud":  what kind of sound/noise; periodic or constant?  is it coming from under the rotor, or inside the gearbox?

...and why call it "old" -- FH is latest model for the anti-Malaysian Stradic fans like me  :(

FishermanTom81

I guess you would call it a grinding noise.  The gears seem (To my untrained eye) to be in good shape.  I would think it would take a true thrashing to "Wear out" a reel; Right? 

Clem

Can be a challenge but elimate the possibilities piece by piece,.. Is it constantly noisy? Or is it noticeably quieter as the spool is on the down stroke?..is it there when the spool is off? When the rotor is removed? Etc etc.. Usually a bearing change and lube can do wonders..check the screws on the main gear to ensure they aren't backing out also..dirty rollers in the clutch?...is there much gear play? Maybe a shim could help..not much to the little stradic so hopefully one of the above will find it... :)