I need advice on upgrading My Int'l II 80T drag for Goliath Grouper.

Started by archerdude22, December 18, 2013, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archerdude22

Hi everybody! After getting my butt handed to me way too many times here at Boca Grande Pass Florida, I decided to step up my tackle. I bought a used but very clean Int'l II 80W. I plan on going thru it and cleaning it and I wanted to get the MAXIMUM drag out of it. Ive read alot about the Dura-drag but I can't find exactly what I need. I have part #'s and such but I may be buying parts I dont need. Has anyone converted their 80w to a dura-drag? I wish they had a pre-made kit for us "do-it yourselfers"!!   These fish average 250 to 350 lbs and sometimes even bigger. Fishing in 15 to 30 ft deep over nasty structure to they dont need to get to the bottom at all. I will be using 200lb braid with a 300lb momo top shot with a 500lb mono leader....and a 10lb jack crevalle for bait. Yes, Im a little nuts.. Thanks for the help! Jeff

alantani

you will find your reel here.  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/International.aspx all the replacement parts should be listed.  good luck!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

That sound like my setup Jeff!, but I'm using Large senators, 12 and 14/0's. 130 lb mono with 300lb top shot. Sometimes I just use 12' of 480lb cable and a 12' section of 500lb wire. One I get the leader, its game over! I'm catching sharks from shore. ;)

Gamakatsu 14/0 on toothproof #22 wire and a Lingred pitman 18/0 circle on #19.
Life is Good!

archerdude22

Quote from: alantani on December 18, 2013, 09:48:57 PM
you will find your reel here.  https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/International.aspx  all the replacement parts should be listed.  good luck!

Yes, Thank you very much. I found that info yesterday and printed out a schematic and got some part numbers, I even emailed Mo at scotts and he would not tell me which parts to order. Frustrating.  
All I wanted someone to tell me is "you need this,this and that"  So I get it right the 1st time. I just didn't want to over-order parts and have to send back the unnecessary parts
Been there done that! LoL!!

Dominick

If you want someone to point and say change this and that, you are going to have to take the reel apart and post some close-up photos so that we point to what you need.  Until it is apart and the guts inspected you may not need any parts.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Robert Janssen

Seems to me that an International II series reel might already have the one-piece drag discs #117 and counterpart, with HT-100. Provided that the drag is fresh, you might not notice a great difference between the HT-100 and the Dura-drag. If on the other hand the drag is worn and you choose to replace it with new parts, you'll get the ones with Dura-drag by default, called 117DN and 117AN. They are a drop-in replacement; you don't need a kit. They ain't cheap though-around $80. So i was thinking you might prefer to save your money until the original drags are worn and really need replacing. Up to you.

Incidentally, someone may correct me on that, but i think that is right. Gotta make sure you're looking at the International II parts list, which may not even be viewable @ Scott's.

archerdude22

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 18, 2013, 11:33:33 PM
If you want someone to point and say change this and that, you are going to have to take the reel apart and post some close-up photos so that we point to what you need.  Until it is apart and the guts inspected you may not need any parts.  Dominick

Yeah I bet your right on that. That route was my last resort, I was hoping someone on this site would have already done this and I would get lucky and ride their coat tails! . The original drag seems in good working order, I was wanting to make it even stronger that it is now. Each swivel, leader, and hook cost me about $15. Don' want any break-offs from the GFG's getting into structure. Check out the "chew on this" goliath grouper video on you tube..crazy!  I wanted to build a mack daddy, monster drag, tractor pulling reel right off the get go. I cant wait to set this up, drop the bait down, and hand the rod to my smack talking fishing buddy, his eyes will pop out when he feels the power of these GFG'S! It will be posted on you tube! hahahaha!

dogtagger

From what I understand, you will only be increasing the drag pressure by about 5 or maybe 10lbs--going from 50-55ish lbs at full. check out http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9117.0;topicseen

Irish Jigger

Yes, Thank you very much. I found that info yesterday and printed out a schematic and got some part numbers, I even emailed Mo at scotts and he would not tell me which parts to order. Frustrating. 

Mo is a she. ;)

Shark Hunter

Give Mo a call. She will help you out once you explain what you need.
Life is Good!