leader to braid connection

Started by maxpowers, December 19, 2013, 04:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

many here have their favorite way to connect leader to solid braid.  uni to uni, modified albright, etc..  i wanted to test the most recommended connection, the uni to uni vs a knot most here do not tie very often, a 5 turns surgeon's knot.  i used 80 lbs sufix and 40 lbs big game.  unfortunately the line broke on both side of the tested connections but both knots held.  i liked the 5 turns surgeon's knot as the lines continue to lie on the same plane while the uni to uni created a bend at the knot.  it could be how i tied the uni knots..

Ron Jones

I haven't done a five pass before. I use a 3 pass to make the loop and then tie a Yucatan knot. No worries so far.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

I just tested with the same 80 lbs sufix braid and 60 lbs big game.  The result was the big game actually cut the braid which was surprising.  The 5 turns surgeons knot held even though it was not was well formed as the knot I made in the 40 lbs test earlier.  Not conclusive of course but for speed both was tied fairly easily on short leaders (6 ft or less).  I supposed as you get longer leader the surgeon's knot would get progressively harder to tie.

broschro

The Albright holds up way better then the uni.

maxpowers

I tested the modified Albright against the 5 turns Surgeon's and so far the modified Albright broke at the knot (mono).  I think my modified Albright was not the best as it was tough to tie correctly while the 5 turns surgeon's was much quicker and easier to tie and held so far.

floating doc

tying braid is often very tough. A lot of people seem to find a technique that works for them and stick with it. I'm still using the Bimini to Albright that I've been using for 35 years, long before we started using braided line.I need to do some tests myself.
Central Florida

Dominick

Quote from: floating doc on December 19, 2013, 07:30:51 PM
tying braid is often very tough. A lot of people seem to find a technique that works for them and stick with it. I'm still using the Bimini to Albright that I've been using for 35 years, long before we started using braided line.I need to do some tests myself.

X2
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jonnou

this is the best I have found small, strong and can be tied at sea.
ive been hooked into the bottom in 120m with 80lb and 100lb mono leader held the boat like an anchor.
couldn't break anything. Got it all back eventually when we found the right angle  :D

johndtuttle

The best knot is the one you tie the best, time after time. KISS.

jonnou

we all have to learn keeps us young :D

handi2

Quote from: floating doc on December 19, 2013, 07:30:51 PM

Same here..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: jonnou on July 09, 2014, 06:00:04 AM
we all have to learn keeps us young :D

Yep yep. :)

But sometimes the deepest lesson learned from experience is to keep it simple.  ;)

FG/PR/Sebile knots are remarkable for their strength when tied perfectly. The question is: How many people are fishing line so close to it's breaking strength that they need a perfect connection? Most lines get cut off or chewed off, if you are having knot failures it is more typically user tying error than the knot being too weak when properly tied.

As well, for the highest stress fishing most do here on the west coast usa hollow braid and splicing is superior to any knot.

The FG style knots are more common in areas where people don't know much about hollow braid. Splicing is another example of keeping it simple when you want the best possible connection. Spliced connections are superior in every regard. Need a leader change? Loop to Loop is as fast or faster than any knot.

best

jonnou

well said
I think this needs a new thread I havent used hollow core yet But just got a new Maxell 80w and plan to run 130lb hollow to a long top shot.
I havent seen the thinner diameter Hollow in New Zealand yet. But what you say makes sense.
Ill be looking into it. ;)

Keta

Why a long topshot?  I use 100' for my trolling reels but the rest of my topshots are 5'-20'.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I like longer topshots because a Palomar is a heck of a lot easier to tie than a Yucatan. Longer topshots take longer to become short top shots.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"