Antireverse security spring

Started by Tile, December 19, 2013, 09:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The Abu Garcia antireverse dog uses a a leaf spring that grips the ratchet and insures the engagement of it in the teeth of the ratchet. However the leaf spring can loosen over time and the engagement cannot be maintained resulting in a failed antireverse. After much deliberation I decided to do away with the (potential) problem by adding an extra spring to insure the meshing of the dog and ratchet at all times and the solution was to convert a 7mm diameter traction spring by creating a hook that catches the dog and a straight tale that keeps it in place around the dog security post and in essence creating a torsion spring. The side effect is a clicking antireverse. I did this modification to my Abu Garcia AG Seven and the Fladen Maxximus 777NB
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

That is awesome.  How does it work?  No binding or limited movement?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

The spring works by pushing the dog against the ratchet at all times and does not limit the movement of the dog. The modification is similar to the one done by Alan on a Shimano Trinidad 40
In solid fiberglass we trust

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Snagged2

Nice,,,
I have installed a secondary "dog" to a 7000 C3, and an older 9000 2-speed.. but, hadn't thought of a "torsional" helper!!

Shark Hunter

Good Job Tile! You gave me a great idea on how to fix my old Daiwa AS7050. These have anti reverse issues and this would be the ticket! Thanks for sharing! ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

raumati01

Well done, I wonder if I could something similar on my trinidad 16n a?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

raumati01

Quote from: Keta on December 20, 2013, 04:04:30 PM
Quote from: raumati01 on December 20, 2013, 10:55:25 AM
Well done, I wonder if I could something similar on my trinidad 16n a?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.0

Cheers. There are two dogs on the a series , hopefully there's not too much difference between them.

Ken_D

Smart. I myself do not know what or where the tractions spring is used. I assume it's a stock part from another reel? Or? Thanks.

pointbob

Quote from: Tile on December 19, 2013, 09:44:34 PMThe Abu Garcia antireverse dog uses a a leaf spring that grips the ratchet and insures the engagement of it in the teeth of the ratchet. However the leaf spring can loosen over time and the engagement cannot be maintained resulting in a failed antireverse. After much deliberation I decided to do away with the (potential) problem by adding an extra spring to insure the meshing of the dog and ratchet at all times and the solution was to convert a 7mm diameter traction spring by creating a hook that catches the dog and a straight tale that keeps it in place around the dog security post and in essence creating a torsion spring. The side effect is a clicking antireverse. I did this modification to my Abu Garcia AG Seven and the Fladen Maxximus 777NB

this is incredible; I suck at mechanical things...is there a stupid-proof way to create this spring? (a utube video lol) or even an alternative simple version it? I love my old abu 6600c witht he double leaf but I know I'm going to wreck it somehow hauling in a 30pound salmon on max drag...
Patience comes to those who wait

borntofish

Quote from: pointbob on October 26, 2023, 04:19:59 PMthis is incredible; I suck at mechanical things...is there a stupid-proof way to create this spring? (a utube video lol) or even an alternative simple version it? I love my old abu 6600c witht he double leaf but I know I'm going to wreck it somehow hauling in a 30pound salmon on max drag...

This might help:

pointbob

Quote from: borntofish on October 28, 2023, 06:37:23 AM
Quote from: pointbob on October 26, 2023, 04:19:59 PMthis is incredible; I suck at mechanical things...is there a stupid-proof way to create this spring? (a utube video lol) or even an alternative simple version it? I love my old abu 6600c witht he double leaf but I know I'm going to wreck it somehow hauling in a 30pound salmon on max drag...

This might help:

thank you
Patience comes to those who wait