Party Boat Fishing in Los Angeles

Started by mrbrklyn, December 20, 2013, 01:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Anyone know if there are any operating Party Boats for fishing out of Los Angeles in January?

Ron Jones

The simple answer is yes. The better question is where in LA?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

LA is a very large area with many ports, try to narrow it down a bit.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I gre up in an area most people would call LA. It actually was San Bernadino but most people think anywhere North of San Dieago up to Santa Barbara or so is LA. You can find a party boat all year round in ANY of those places along the coast, but if you tell us where you are going we can be more helpful.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: mrbrklyn on December 20, 2013, 05:28:22 AM
I'll be staying in Pico-Robertson, if that helps.  :)

In that case Google fishing boats in Marina del Rey.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Whoever you go with, they will probably head to the North for bottom fishing this time of year. Your 320GTi will be as big as you'll need, if not bigger than you need. Depending on the bait situation at the time you'll probably be dropping live anchovies or sardines or using cut squid, both off of dropper loops. The boat shouldn't be all that full and their shouldn't be a lot of pressure. I always liked half days like that. The catch numbers aren't high but it is nice to relax and not combat fish all day.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

john2244

I believe rockcod fishing is closed the months of Jan and Feb. in at least Southern Calif.

John

BMITCH

Reuben, these guys rates appear to be right in line with the PB's here in our neck of the woods. Good luck out there!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

SoCalAngler

AS John said rockfish is closed and not really other options, maybe some boats might drift for halibut or sand dabs but that would be a long shot. Since the bottom grabbers are shut down and not other options boats cant get egough riders to leave the dock at this time also most likely where will not be any live bait as the bait catching boats and recievers are shut down this time of year. Good luck on your hunt and it's a good thing your not bringing gear because it might not even see water if you did. I hate to bring the bad news but just wanted to let you know whats up.

Ron Jones

Wow,
Sorry, I didn't realize that much has changed since 2011. Is all of So Cal still closed or just the LA area? I went on the Daily double in Jan of 11 and had live bait and a good time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

SoCalAngler

It has not changed in that time but like I said most of the bait recievers are closed, one or two may stay open for private boaters and landings but their supply is shakey at best. Its too cold for game fish, rockfish is shut down so getting enough riders to make some money for the boats is hard. You may get a spot on a boat but it may not leave the landing due to too few riders. Most boats do repairs/upgrades, hit dry dock for bottom paint or just close shop until March's rockfish opener. During El Nino years more things stay open year round, I have caught Thresher and Albacore New Years day during but this year is not starting out with warm enough waters for that. The standard of our Southern Cailifornia fishing is not what most locals like to see during Jan and Feb so they dont hit the dock opting to wait. I just wanted share the realities of fishing during that time.

Bryan Young

It sounds like fishing may be out, so I'd recommend having some Fried Chicken and Waffles at Roscos Chicken and Waffles off Pico and LaBrea. 

Be careful, that is part of the HOOD!  It's very common to hear gun shots throughout the night in areas around there...yes, my friends live in that area and have stayed often.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

AND...

If you are still hunger, try Pink's Hot Dogs!!!     2 1/2 miles north on La Brea Blvd.

http://www.pinkshollywood.com/

Best chili dog I've ever had!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

In January the steelhead fishing in Oregon is getting hot and it's only a 600 mile drive.  If the ocean is behaving lingcod and rockfish can be hot too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Ruben,

If you can make a trip during Spring thru Fall and try to get on a trip at least a full day, this means you leave on the boat the night before and return the next evening. The cost is more than  1/2 or 3/4 day trip but it opens up a whole different range of fishing opportunities. Give me a heads up if you do and I will meet you on the boat if I can. You wont need any gear or tackle because I have enough for the both of us. I love to show people how we fish So Cal style.