Shimano Warranty

Started by errock_22, December 21, 2013, 07:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

errock_22

Does anyone know if opening up a brand new Shimano reel and performing a pre-fish service and opening up the spool bearings will void the warranty? I want to pre-service but don't want to void the warranty since Shimano has been really good about replacement in the past.

Thanks for any input.

Eric

alantani

not sure.  if you lose a screw or something else small, shimano sends them out for free.   call and ask, but personally i do not think it would be a problem.  they are well aware that there is a large community of fishermen that servicing their own reels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Zimbass

Warranty requires that you maintain the reel in good condition, and even give you maintainance instructions on their web site. I would not think that Shimano would void a warranty because you want to ensure the reel has been lubed and assembled correctly.

There are many of us that routinely do this, and I know no one that has an issue for doing so.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

reefmonsta

I dont believe a pre-fish service will void your warranty, however I have "heard" that upgrading the brakes from stock to carbontex will void your warranty as it puts more stress on the reel than the stock drags.
reefmonsta

errock_22

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I agree. I don't see how they could fault someone for wanting the reel to be properly lubed and protected.