Penn 180 upgrades

Started by Surfwrangler, December 22, 2013, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I believe you need a different bridge.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

If you do a search for Penn 180 on here you will find the post where Sal said the gear sleeve will work even though it is loose. I haven't tried it yet, even though it is on my list. As far as gears go, steel 155 gears will be all the strength you need.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Surfwrangler

So your saying that even though the gear sleeve is loose on the post it will still work??? Wouldn't it make more sense to put a bridge in with a wider post or is there not one that will fit in the reel?!?

Ron Jones

If you read page 3 of this thread: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5761.30
Sal tells me it works. That's better than anything you'll get from me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I can see you are struggling with this Surfwrangler. I am a novice on these smaller reels. If it were a 6/0 or up I could tell you exactly what you need to hear. I have learned a lot from the Master and I suggest you PM Sal to end your woes. ;)
Life is Good!

Surfwrangler

Well after what has been way to much deliberation and online part hunting my penn 180 upgrades have been completed.  I ended up having to get an old surfmaster 200 to swap out some parts but ended up with nice chrome plated guts and only minor blemishes on the right side support ring. That plus a new drag stack, SS gear sleave, power handle, and a painful to purchase tiburon frame have made a little crank that I am really happy with!!! Real unique and custom looking. Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone especially sal. Now I have to purchase a surf rod for it. Probably going for a Star 12ft heaver. And just leave it on the same ugly stick 7ft custom for inshore and jigging. Other input on rods welcome. Thanks again!!!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

SacFly

Looks great!  Can you explain the problem you encountered with the bridge/sleeve?  I don't know the 180, but I have a couple of 155s that I fiddle with.  You said that you had the 3-155, which is what scott's says fits the 180.  So what was up?

DaBigOno

Very nicely done!  I really like that power handle.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Surfwrangler

SAC that's where the surfmaster came in. Basically got a old beat up looking one off eBay for 16$ shipping included and swapped out the right side plate. So technically I guess it's half 180 half surfmaster. Now I have a wide spool 180 made of the leftover parts but don't have any plans for that thing. The 98-155 sleave fit on the bridge spindle but had too much play for me to feel comfy with that's why I swapped out the surfmaster sideplate bc it was cheaper than paying for more S&H from Scott's. now I just have to find the time to go used it once the weather warms up a bit

Ron Jones

So in reality you have a hopped up Surfmaster 100 and a torn up Beachmaster 155. Sound good to me.
Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

I picked me up a little 180. It even has a stainless spool. Bonus! 20 bucks shipped. The handle doesn't look right to me. There is a hole for a set screw, but the nut is not the set screw type. Its still cool! 8)

Life is Good!

Lensters

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 19, 2014, 06:09:43 AM
I picked me up a little 180. It even has a stainless spool. Bonus! 20 bucks shipped. The handle doesn't look right to me. There is a hole for a set screw, but the nut is not the set screw type. Its still cool! 8)

It is supposed to have a more typical looking handle screw (23-180).  MysticParts.com can set you up...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#Baymaster

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Shark Hunter

This looks like the same handle nut that I have. I think its the handle that's not right.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/23-180.aspx
or maybe I just need a 23-60 handle nut.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!